Author Topic: Close your eyes from time to time  (Read 1344 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Close your eyes from time to time
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:22:01 AM »
This is helpful for most anything that requires some physical movement, and I first encountered this concept a long time ago in the areas of sports and martial arts. It's very basic and very beneficial: Close your eyes before making a given movement and keep them closed until the movement is completed.

This builds a kinesthetic sense that makes things easier, faster, and more effective over time and aids with developing better balance. Why balance? Most of our sense of balance is visual, not from the inner ear. Why consider balance in the realm of training for the gunfight? Because you're almost never going to be in a completely static position even if you're not moving very hard and very fast. Things will be shifting and force and weight will be transferred even if you're standing still.

Example: Dry-practice of magazine changes. Beginning with a simple mag change of a handgun from the standing position, extend the gun, close your eyes, do a proper trigger press to get the click, perform the mag change without opening your eyes until you have extended the gun back to firing position. Open your eyes and check the line of the gun and position of the sights. Set it back up, repeat.

This can be applied to very nearly all gunfight training and is useful, as said, in many other areas that involve physical movement as well. If applied correctly and conscientiously I believe you will find it to be of benefit to your development.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:38:23 PM by CR Williams »
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Coastie

Re: Close your eyes from time to time
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »
Good info CR, Thanks!

Brademan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 06:48:22 PM »
I'm glad to see this particular skill being revisited.  It is a super practice technique!

Like CR, I was drilled in this fashion by several sensei and sifu in a variety of disciplines and have used it in practicing reloads, draw and presentation, and lots of defensive skills.  Its value is just as he pointed a out and I have shared it with students of my own for many years.

"We are all still learning....or we are failing."  Good advice from a teacher of mine long ago.
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 03:42:51 AM »
Good information CR.  We used to do 'close your eyes and fly the airplane' to teach the feel of the plane and where the controls are located. You learned very quickly to keep your flashlight close at hand.  Same concept, know your equipment and how to implement it by feel. Thanks
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez