Author Topic: Retractable Black Baton- 16 inches  (Read 2567 times)

Coastie

Retractable Black Baton- 16 inches
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:33:54 AM »
I bought this baton from the below link about two weeks ago and it came in just the other day.  At $1.99 shipping it won't set any shipping speed records, but just the same it's a good little baton.
It's made of heavy metal that has a diamond pattern of grooved lines set into the top end of the cylinder (2 3/4")which enables one to maintain a hold of it. 
My measurements (which differ from the description below) show its length a
s 161/4" L with 6/8" diameter at the tipped end and 13/16" diameter at the capped end.  The capped end comes already with a ring and wrist strap attached.  The compressed length is 51/2".  It also weighs 10 ounces.

You will need to do some work to it before you use it though as it doesn't come preassembled and you won't be able to use it straight out of the package.  Please do this before trying to use it, highly recommended!

When you unscrew the end cap you will notice that the tip of the baton faces the threaded-end (magnet) cap, photo 1.  You will need to remove the collapsible baton innards and rotate them so the tip of the innards is inserted into the tube and points out the cylinder near the narrowed end, photo 2.

Also, before you screw the end cap back onto the cylinder you may want to apply a line of Locktite or some other sealing compound, as the end cap as well as the screw tip on the other end, both like to unscrew themselves - you don't want to lose either of them!  Once you put it back together it is ready to use.  (Just be sure that you follow your state laws regarding batons.)

Photo 3 shows the extended baton.  I thought I'd need to get a belt sheath for it, was happily surprised that a belt sheath was included with it.

(PS, as you extend your baton you may notice that scrapes on the paint will show on some of the collapsible parts.  This is normal.  The baton has extended flawlessly, for me, every time.  To collapse the baton you need to strike the tipped end on something hard like cement.)

http://www.7deadlydeals.com/home.php?id=22607
Product Description
Retractable Black Baton- 16 inches of Heavy Metal!
A tool so perfect for self defense it's even used by the biggest police forces from around the globe. It measures 17" when fully extended and 5 3/8" when retracted. Comes with a Nylon Case that can be attached to a belt or fit easily in a purse.

MRBARRY

Re: Retractable Black Baton- 16 inches
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:02:35 AM »
Good write-up, thanks. I have been thinking about getting a retractable baton and it's always better to get a review from someone you "know" as opposed to generic Internet feedback.

Coastie

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:06:02 AM »
Thanks!  This one is certainly affordable and the link is still (probably always will be) good. 

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
Thanks for the pics and the info!  I like collapsing batons. Wife bought me one about 3 years ago at a truck stop in Idaho. It is chrome plated with a handle on it with protrusions similar to a "Sai" martial arts weapon.
I had to modify the protrusions as they got in my way during manipulation. Also, after a few whacks (using it for a tire pressure checker) the gripping portions loosen, requiring a re-extension operation to get it ridged again.
It is spring loaded.
I've been wanting to get some other style of baton, similar to the one featured in this post. Makes me think!
There are a few styles out there that I find desirable.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Coastie

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 04:45:58 PM »
Interesting - spring loaded.  Mine works by gravity  ;) and a flick of the wrist.

Coastie

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:39:32 PM »
So why do truckers & folks thump their tires?

oldranger53

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
Well, as I understand it, it is a quick way to get a ballpark idea as to the inflation and overall condition of individual tires.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Coastie

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »

I thought I'd need to get a belt sheath for it, was happily surprised that a belt sheath was included with it.

[/size]

Unfortunately the case/sheath is a little cheap in build...am current looking for a better one, although another sheath I had handy seems to work with it. 

In Wash. as long as a carrier has a CPL, we're good to go as far as batons go...

oldranger53

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:59:37 PM »
I'm glad this topic came up.  I was bored with my own baton, and had it stored away, etc...
Since we've been discussing your own, cool I might add, baton, I've gotten my own out of storage and began fooling with it again.  Thanks!

Coastie

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:58:01 PM »
It's always good to get things out from time to time....;)