Author Topic: Does dry firing a handgun cause damage?  (Read 3664 times)

mjpell

Does dry firing a handgun cause damage?
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
Ok, I like to dry-fire practice at home.   I practice 'racking', and squeezing the trigger.
Of course I only get one shot.  ;-)

I've read it damages the gun.
I've read it does not damage the gun.
I've recently read hints of a 'cap' that people use in the gun when dry firing.  I believe it is to protect the gun.

What's the scoop?   Does the gun care if it is firing a live round or not?

What's your suggestion/advice?

And I think I'll start practicing with my 'other' hand.  Another good article there (Not a drill, just a useful thing: Learn to switch sides)!

thanks,

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
Well, I was given a Ruger Superblackhawk SS a few years ago as a gift (yeah, nice gift!).
I felt "OK" about dry firing it long enough to get a good feel for the weight, trigger pull, ans sight picture because of the hardness and durability of Stainless Steel.
Within a couple of weeks I ceased dry firing in the belief that all that spring loaded steel slamming against other steel couldn't possibly be good.
Lesser steel suffers, I believe.
These are only my opinions, and are subject to change if I change my mind!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Shawn Hoyle

Re: Does dry firing a handgun cause damage?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
I'm also curious, guys.
I can't imagine that racking the slide by hand could be even close to the violent cycling caused by a powder load.
What I'd like to know is....is there excess wear and tear on the firing pin mechanism?
Must be a market for those "snap caps".
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

ďFreedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didnít pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 09:17:30 PM »
What sort of pistol mj?  What's your owners manual say?  Usually the manual will tell you (it mentions it in the Kel-Tec PF-9 manual not to dry fire it).  But am sure with a snap cap then I can dry fire it.  Snap caps are usually inexpensive and you can get them just about everywhere.   Also in the manual it will tell you whether or not you can use the +P (if 9mm, .380 ammo) and the like.  Mine says not to use a steady diet of those. 

Snap caps (links)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=snap+caps

Just about every dealer would have snap caps of some sort...

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 06:05:36 AM »
The majority of modern-made guns you can dry-fire. As Coastie says, if you can't the manual will indicate it. If you want to be sure of that, contact the manufacturer. Even if it can't be run empty, snap-caps/dummy rounds will allow you to dry-fire the gun.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

mjpell

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:34:04 PM »
The majority of modern-made guns you can dry-fire. As Coastie says, if you can't the manual will indicate it. If you want to be sure of that, contact the manufacturer. Even if it can't be run empty, snap-caps/dummy rounds will allow you to dry-fire the gun.

The owners manual doesn't say, and I didn't find anything about it on the SIG website.

Coastie

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 05:32:46 PM »
You might try sending them a question to see if they'll reply...

RacerRon

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 06:51:23 PM »
After a recent purchase of a Ruger SR22. I was supprised to find that In the manual it is stated that dry fire is safe with this gun. I was under the impression that this was a no-no with rimfires. Life is good :)

mustang125

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 08:05:28 PM »
You should read the manual. My Ruger SR-9 is ok to dry fire, if you have a magazine installed. Because of the magazine safety you need to do it correctly.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 12:56:10 PM »
Maybe this need not be said, at least in this crowd, but pulling the trigger is one ingredient in a true discharge of the weapon.  The act of pulling the trigger can become so mechanical that, I believe, CAN increase the likelihood of an accidental discharge.
Now before the rocks begin heading in my direction about this statement, I'm only stating this because it is a concern within myself.
Personally, I'm timid about letting behaviors of my own become so routine and mechanical as to make myself more prone to accidents.  For me, at least, dry firing makes me think more.
In other words, checking my weapon more often, again and again before, during, and after any firing or dry firing exercise must needs be increased to make doubly sure that NO ACCIDENTS happen on my watch.

Again, I am sure this doesn't need to be said here on this forum, but at least I got it off my chest.
Pulling the trigger is normally followed by a "bang."
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Coastie

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:43 PM »
If your manual doesn't say, my S&W 1911 manual doesn't, then you should contact the manufacturer and ask them.  Many mfr's have feedback and query links on their pages just for this. 

!!*  As well as FAQ on their web sites.

I just visited S&W to ask that question and discovered their FAQ link.
In the list of facts it had, "Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?"  the answer below:

Can I dry fire my S&W handgun?

Q: Can I dry fire my Smith & Wesson?

A: Yes, except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

.22 caliber revolvers such as models 17, 43, 63, 317 and 617 also should not be dry fired.

Q: Why can't I dry fire my .22 pistol or revolver?

A: Dry firing a S&W .22 pistol or revolver will cause damage to the firing pin.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:02:48 PM by Coastie »