Author Topic: Dry Practice: way more useful than you think  (Read 3890 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Dry Practice: way more useful than you think
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:51:33 AM »
Dry fire/dry practice: Most of us don't do enough of it, period. Most of us don't realize how much we can get out of it or how valuable it is. The reality is that you can do probably 90% of what you normally think of range work, shooting techniques, gun manipulations, access and presentation, etc., without firing or having to fire a shot. Very nearly the only thing you can't get from dry-practice is recoil from the gun.

I was reminded of the value of dry-practice this weekend. I had a one-day basic pistol class during which I demonstrated shooting drills and checked a student's gun to see if it was him or the sights that were off. I was consistently able to keep two and three shot groups with overlapping rounds and produced an overlapping shot group with the student's gun, a 1911 (I have not fired any 1911 form-factor firearm in nearly, maybe more than, two years.). [Yes, you're right; the gun was not off, the student was. He was doing much better by the end of the day.]

Why is this remarkable? Before I fired in class, I had not fired a live round in nearly sixty days. All of my training to that point consisted of dry-fire/dry-practice, and not much more than twenty minutes at a time of that. Dry-practice is what allowed me to maintain consistent accuracy not just with the gun I'm familiar with, but even with a gun I had not handled in many months.

Sonny Puzikas in his Beyond The Firearm II (http://www.gospelofviolence.com/store/product1.html) DVD considers dry practice so useful that he thinks 50-60% of your training should be done that way. Another 30-40% he believes should be FOF. Only 10% of all training time, in the opinion of this former Spetznaz team member, should be spent in live fire.

10%.

I wonder how many people reverse those figures and wonder why they're not doing so well?

I believed him when I heard him say that in the video, and after seeing some proof of it, I still do. So I urge you all to give more time to dry practice in the belief that you will see good and useful results from doing more of that and less actual shooting. Try it and see.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Re: Dry Practice: way more useful than you think
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:10:01 AM »
Good Information, and with the economy getting tight, it is good to know that dry firing will help build your skills, saving money on firing at the range.

Robert
Time will tell.

GTG

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »
I read an article I will post on airsoft training. Safe live fire that even the Military uses that doesn't need a Range. ;) G2G
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"

SARGeek

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:59:53 AM »
Dry fire has utility beyond airsoft and should still be in your routine even if you do FOF regularly.

Agree that airsoft is a great advance and I'm looking at a couple of spring guns for FOF training. You can get them in models that mimic standard firearms, including manual of arms stuff, and that is a huge additional plus!

A word of warning: Check your local laws and ordinances, in my town discharging any projectile (BB, pellet, airsoft, slingshot, arrow, are all mentioned) is a misdemeanor weapons charge if done outdoors in other than self-defense. Interestingly, indoors is legal so long as the property owner approves. So doing it in the garage is fine but the back yard is illegal. :o
SARGeek

Bill MO

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
One of the many reason I like living in the country. NO regs other than state law.
"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

"If you are not training in “the reality of the fight” you are training to a lower standard." Roger Phillips

"It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby." reinman45

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:49 PM »
I couldn't find a airsoft replica of my Kahr, so I picked up a Sig P226 replica. Now I just need to save my pennies so I can buy a real one. Love those Sigs!

Went to a firearms auction today with over 100 guns. Most notable was a P220 w/3 mags from 1984 that sold for $625.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 03:39:02 AM »
Good information CRW.  I know I sometime neglect to do all the things I should to stay current.  Life seems to get in the way but, the other alternate to life is not too appealing at this time.  ;)
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

SARGeek

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »
Agreed CG!

I teach my NRA Basic <Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun> students about dry fire as a matter of course. Ranges and shooting areas are a lot farther apart then they used to be!

Two fundamentals that are especially helped are sight alignment and trigger control but grip, stance, and breath control are also improved if you're doing it right. I try my best to send my basic students off with the skills to continue their improvement and dry fire is a big part of that.

Dry fire is probably one of the most under-utilized training methods out there.
SARGeek

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 06:32:55 AM »
Just don't limit this concept to dry-fire, ladies and gentlemen. Way too many people do that, and in doing that they limit themselves unnecessarily. If you use the dry-practice time to work on all manipulations, to develop placement of equipment, to get used to moving hard and fast with that equipment (whether it's a full-on warbelt and rifle or a AIWB holster and your EDC pistol), even if it's just a step or two at a time, if you work on access, if you work on keeping the pistol running, if you work on these things short of shooting at home, you will have more time to work on the things you can only work on shooting by shooting at the range. You will furthermore make range training more efficient, more effective, and more cost-effective and less costly, but moving away from the 'dry-fire' focus and expanding to the full-on concept of 'dry-practice' in your at-home training activities.

Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

SARGeek

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
Good point CR, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. But when I teach a "Basic" course it is just that. I use the analogy that my MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) instructor used with me: "Congratulations, you are now qualified to ride a motorcycle around a parking lot". I stress that what they have learned is the "Basics" and that they really should go on to more advanced training in any aspect of firearms that interests them. That's why I mentioned the fundamentals.

Clearing drills, magazine manipulations, draw & fire, moving of the "X" while getting the rest going, and so many more things that I can't list them can all be practiced "dry".

To add even more utility, get some snap caps. You may not need them to protect your firing pin but they are fantastic for jam clearing, double-feed, and many other drills. If you create a "true" double-feed with snap caps (as an example) you get a much better idea of how much force it takes to get that mag out of the gun and keep fighting.

Just make sure that the drapes/blinds are closed before you run around your house waving a gun!  ;D
SARGeek

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 02:55:58 PM »
Just make sure that the drapes/blinds are closed before you run around your house waving a gun!  ;D

Especially if you are only wearing your boxers.   ;D
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »
...(Snip)...

No kidding!  Even here in gun country with gun-friendly neighbors and all, we are both very careful about WHO can see WHAT through the blinds!  And besides, with the resolution and zoom of modern optical devices, a snooper could be blocks away and still get freaked at the sight of whatever.
All it takes is a call to the LE with a "fear", and your 4th Amendment "rights" disappear!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »

Especially if you are only wearing your boxers.   ;D

Scrub mental picture with steel wool.... TMI....
lol
Time will tell.

SARGeek

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 07:46:20 PM »
^^^^^

What he said!
SARGeek