Author Topic: 80-year-old Homeowner Arrested After Shooting Burglar  (Read 981 times)

pstan13

80-year-old Homeowner Arrested After Shooting Burglar
« on: March 28, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
I don't know if this fits under this topic since Chicago does not recognize the Second Amendment!

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/80-year-old-homeowner-arrested-for-shooting-burglar.html
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Coastie

Re: 80-year-old Homeowner Arrested After Shooting Burglar
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »
Don't know, it doesn't really discuss the shooting at all, just the arrest...

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
Wow, this is crazy. Illinois does have a Castle Law. If they really arrested him, they are violating state law.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
"Police said Wright was arrested because he had two previous weapons convictions – in 1968 and 1994."

That is a quote from the article linked above.
I believe with total conviction (no pun intended), that the "...two previous weapons convictions..." part is the greatest tragedy in the whole sordid affair!
Every case should be evaluated and judged on its own merits, regardless of what a man or woman has been involved in in their past lives.  People change, and no one knows this like older people.
It can be argued that a person is predisposed to act in certain ways, and therefore is deserving of blanket punishment for any similar behavior in future events, no matter how far distant the events in question occur.  But that argument is false, and has no basis in fact or logic.
Let's say that a young man, full of fire and vinegar and mixed up with wrong influences errs at the age of 22 by pulling a gun during a fight (no shots fired), and is arrested for "Felony Assault" and convicted because he cannot afford a REAL lawyer, and the Public Defender (so called) urges him to plea to whatever...  Nothing happens with this guy for 20 years, and he is shuffled back in social awareness and basically forgotten, taking crap jobs and living two or three levels below his skills and education would otherwise proffer if he did NOT have a "Felony" conviction.
Bad enough as it is, eh?  Yes, but wait!  There's more!
This guy, wakes up one night and finds some stranger within his home and acting aggressively toward him, and even threatening his wife (still in her nightgown) while he is insisting the intruder exit the home BEFORE anything gets worse.
The situation escalates.
The intruder grabs a kitchen knife and approaches the man of the house.
Man of the house shoots the intruder with a pistol he keeps for "life and death" situations, and nothing else.
Man of the house goes to jail.. WHY?  Because he had a "Felony" conviction 20 YEARS ago in DUBIOUS circumstances - yet he was unable to properly defend himself due to unreasonable legal costs, etc...
Bottom line is that the man got a RAW DEAL from the git-go, and there's nothing anyone can do about it, least of all the man and his wife who now has to live out the rest of her years alone while the man rots and probably dies in prison.

WRONG!
There should be TIME LIMITS on how long a person's so-called "record" is allowed to follow them - else, more and more stories like this will become the norm, rather than the exception.
I don't care what the man did in 1968 and 1994!  Is he a good man now?  If so, the same laws need to apply to him as do to someone who is "clean" in the eyes of the "law."
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.