Author Topic: S/W Mdl 317 Ultra Lite 22LR Revolver  (Read 1427 times)

pop pop

S/W Mdl 317 Ultra Lite 22LR Revolver
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
I just purchased a like new, 8 shot, S/W Ultra Lite, Mdl 317, 22 Lr Revolver this morning. It has a green fiber optic sight installed on the front of it. I also have the origional box that it came in. I have always wanted a good S/W 22 and now I have one!!!!! It will go well with my Sig Mosquito pistol and my Taurus 22 magnum revolver. Now I won't be forced to use the Mag to fire 22 LR in any more. My grandsons will enjoy it, as well as my swettie and me.

It was in the used case, at the gun shop, but both the manager and I examined the revolver and it was completely clean. He said the man that traded it in said he never fired the revolver, and also he was the origional buyer of the revolver when new. I could not find any evidence of it ever being fired myself, although I would think it was tested at the factory. It does not have a scratch on it and is in 99.9% condition. The only mark is where the spring loaded cylendar pin has rubbed the frame while opening and shutting the cylendar.

I am totally stoked........Will let you know how it shoots soon. Too cold today. I consider this a find. I looked at it once before, but he had it priced $575.00 and I wouldn't give it. I paid $430.00 for the Ultra Lite today. It is amazing what a few days on the shelf will do for a deal.

LEJoe

Re: S/W Mdl 317 Ultra Lite 22LR Revolver
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:57:19 AM »
Good job pop pop! I would love to find one of those too. What a jewel! Barrel length?

pop pop

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:15:40 AM »
The revolver has a 3" brl length. I hope to shoot it today.......

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:02:27 PM »

I went out and shot the 317 this afternoon. It is a nice gun. It has a great trigger and I really like the fiber optic sight. I was surprised because I thought it would be too large, but it is not. It is green and shows up great even looking into the sun. On my target, I am looking West and the afternoon sun is shining toward my eyes, although not directly. The green fiber optic is great.

The little gun is very light. It is a K frame size handgun if you know what that is. One size larger than a snubbie. I am able to get all fingers on the grip easily. It shoots to point of aim, of the sights. It has adjustable target sights, on the rear, and not just the S/W cut groove. I shot a 2" group of 8, at 30 feet, off hand, and firing double action. I busted about 50 rounds but it is cool today so I came back in before gettin chilled. Just got over a cold and sinus thing and don't want another.

I really, really like this one and I know my grandsons will like it also. It is much more accurate than firing 22LR out of the Taurus 22 Magnum revolver I have. In fairness, the little Taurus is just as accurate if you fire the 22 mag ammo in it. I have some swinging metal 22 targets and I could ding them at will. I like the 22"s and must make myself practice good mechanics because I want to just flail away. I would advise anyone who may be interested to latch on to one of these, if you get a half of a chance. Much, Much fun if you enjoy shooting, and may I say, it does not break the bank either. 

LEJoe

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:15 PM »
Thanks for the report. It's now on my wish list. May have missed this but is that gun blue, stainless or that aluminum alloy finnish? Gallory of Guns has those for $759.00.

pop pop

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
Boy, I got a deal Joe.........I believe alloy. It is real light.

I do stand corrected. On another forum a poster said the 317, from my description, sounds like it is on an alloy snubbie frame and is a S/W Kit gun. I think it will be on par with a S/W Mdl 60 with a 3" brl and extended 3 finger grip.

At any rate I really like the revolver and know my grandkids will also. Can't wait to shoot it with them. This will be a great beginners gun and I hope to teach a few friends how to shoot with it.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 07:42:35 AM by pop pop »