Author Topic: Need advice -  (Read 2861 times)

Grumpy

• New User
Need advice -
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:34:30 AM »
I have a 50ish female friend who has never owned a  gun, never held a gun until I let her hold my XD9, or ever shot a gun.

She wants to get her Tx CHL.

Where do you tell someone to start.  She works 12 hours 6 days a week, so not much time for instruction & training.

But where does one begin ??

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
Re: Need advice -
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »
12 hours and 6 days a week, She needs a vacation.... Maybe she could take an extra day off every now and then to hit the range. Most concealed carry classes are on Saturdays, if she is off that day. Start her off with a revolver 38 special, not a lite weight one because recoil is harder to handle, she might not like that. Let her shoot your XD9. Most ranges have a selection of guns you can shoot, go that route before buying.
US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:56:38 AM »
Starting off with a .22 allways seems to work for me, Builds the confidence up then move on up in calibers.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »
Start her off with a revolver 38 special, not a lite weight one because recoil is harder to handle, she might not like that.

A good alternative is to use a .357 revolver and shoot .38 rounds through it, the extra heft of the gun makes it easier to control recoil, and when/if she wants to try a more powerful caliber she can do so without needing to learn a new gun.

"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

Ralphola

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
You could start her out with a little reading.  I would recommend The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker - In The Gravest Extreme by Mas Ayoob and The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird.  Speaking of Chris Bird.  He is an instructor at Tac-Pro Shooting Center in Mangus, TX.    http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/index.html   It is between Ft. Worth and Abilene.  I have heard that these guys are very good.  When you do get around to shooting, I would recommend taking her to a range where she can rent different types of firearms and shoot away.  Let her decide what is the best fit and comfort for her.

PPK-380

• Ruger SR9 / Sig. P-238
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
The Handgun Manual is a good read. Everyone here has pretty much covered it all.

Working that much she is going to have to MAKE the time.

Taking the class will be a good start as wherever it is there is likely going to be a range. If you can take her there beforehand that would be best, most do have rental guns and will let someone try several. I always felt that a Sig-238 was a good gun for a lady, I love mine as it is pretty much like shooting a 22 as far as recoil. Of course some ladies can handle a full size pistol just fine.

Other than that she can use the internet for info, I dont know if it costs to join www.thecorneredcat.com or just www.corneredcat.com or not. Which ever is the proper name of it, it is a site dedicated to women and handguns, I think that it is still free.

At one time the USCCA was a good place to learn but I dont feel it is worth recommending these days due to the cost of their new non-insurance insurance deal that one must buy to get in.

(edited to highlight the first manual title)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:40:13 AM by Coastie »
A Handgun Carry Permit may be but a small piece of plastic but it is a HUGE leap in personal and civic responsibilty.

US Army, FL,SC & TN Army National Guard, OIF-3 Vet.

NObama2012

Fear Not for I am with you. Isaiah 41:10

dam630

• Defying Gravity
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
First have her read this:  http://corneredcat.com/   lots of great reading on her website and she has a published book that is geared towards the ladies, but is also very informative to men.
Then... IF she is still interested, take her to your local gun shop, let HER decide what is best for her.
Of course, I would lean her towards a .22 caliber pistol to start things off with until she learns all the proper technique, then let HER pick out something she would be comfortable carrying.
Dale Medin
Valrico, FL

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
At one time the USCCA was a good place to learn but I dont feel it is worth recommending these days due to the cost of their new non-insurance insurance deal that one must buy to get in.

Wish I could share the 21 publications that I downloaded from the USCCA while I was a member, but they are copyrighted. Not to mention all of the magazine issues from 2004 that I downloaded. IMO, a one year membership would be worth the investment.

My girls love to shoot my Kahr P380.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

ďFreedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didnít pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

PPK-380

• Ruger SR9 / Sig. P-238
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »

Wish I could share the 21 publications that I downloaded from the USCCA while I was a member, but they are copyrighted. Not to mention all of the magazine issues from 2004 that I downloaded. IMO, a one year membership would be worth the investment.

My girls love to shoot my Kahr P380.

I agree that it could well be worth it to someone new, It was just the way that it was all done that did not sit well with a lot of us and because of that I wont recommend them to anyone anymore. I still have most of the paper mags and a bunch of them are still in the plastic that they came in as I have not had time to read them. At least I can give those away to someone else.
A Handgun Carry Permit may be but a small piece of plastic but it is a HUGE leap in personal and civic responsibilty.

US Army, FL,SC & TN Army National Guard, OIF-3 Vet.

NObama2012

Fear Not for I am with you. Isaiah 41:10

GTG

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:25:04 AM »
IMHO to get a license, & be competent to use it, takes training. To do that she has to take a break or cut down her hours, or take a couple of hours off in the middle of the day if there is a Range close & an instructor can be arranged for the time frame. G2G
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"

1911 guy

• Mischief? Mayhem? My work here is done.
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:49 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree that training is needed, not just a few range trips.  As some of us know and other will find out, we make terrible coaches/trainers for our own friends and family.  Uncle Sam paid me to teach other Sailors how to use a handgun but I turned my own wife over to someone else.  Much easier on relationships and they pay more attention.  After all, what do you know?  You're just their husband/father/friend/uncle/whatever.

There's no shame in starting her off with a .22 to master the fundamentals.  Whatever you do, don't go the opposite direction and start her off by being all manly and hairy-chested and pulling out the .975 LoudenBoomer SkullSplitter to show how "real men" can handle recoil.  Don't laugh, seen it happen.

I'd get her shooting just enough to decide on revolver or autoloader.  That way when she trains, it will be with a platform that transfers to her eventual carry gun.  No point in practicing magazine changes when she really needs to know how to work a speed-loader or speed-strip. 
I wish I believed in reincarnation.  Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Granny D

• My armed attack dog
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
Hi Grumpy, I'm not a great one to give advise, but as a female here it goes. If she has never fired a gun start with a smaller caliber like a 22. One of my favorites to just shoot is an old ruger 22 long barrel pistol. This has almost no recoil,is not to heavyand pretty easy to aim. If she likes that then go from there. As other women are usually glad to help maybe some friends would like to get together and go out target shooting, which would let her see, feel and possiblly use different kinds of guns. This might help her decided what she likes and is comfortable for her. Myself I carry a KelTec32 because it is small, light and easy to shoot with out a lot of recoil. This is my personal choice simply because of medical reasons.
Granny D
USAF Vet