Author Topic: Iver Johnson Revolver  (Read 2512 times)

pop pop

Iver Johnson Revolver
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:44:28 PM »

I have a friend that has an opportunity to purchase a Iver Johnson Revolver in 32 caliber. Dose anyone know if this is a good revolver? Would it be one that you could find ammo for? Would it be a suitible had gun for self defense? He can purchase it for 65.00 and he said it looked real good, but he is not a gun person. I would appriciate any help you can give me.........

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
Re: Iver Johnson Revolver
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
This is from Wikipedia.

Iver Johnson nomenclature refers to its top-break revolvers as Safety Automatics. These are revolvers, not semi-automatic pistols. The term “Safety Automatic” refers to Iver Johnson’s transfer bar safety system (“safety”) and the automatic ejection of cartridges upon breaking open the revolvers (“automatic”).[edit] Safety automaticStandard models with external hammer:
  • First Model (1894–1895), single post latch system
  • Second Model (1896–1908), double post latch system
  • Third Model (1909–1941), double post latch system
[edit] Safety automatic hammerless
  • First Model (1895–1896), single post latch
  • Second Model (1897–1908), safety lever added to face of trigger
  • Third Model a.k.a. New Model (1909–1941), no safety lever on trigger
[edit] William McKinley assassinationPresidential assassin Leon Czolgosz shot and wounded U.S. President William McKinley in Buffalo, New York on September 6, 1901 with an Iver Johnson .32 caliber Safety Automatic revolver (serial number 463344). (McKinley succumbed to these wounds nearly 8 days later, at 2:15 am on the 14th of September). The revolver is currently on display at the Buffalo & Erie County Historical Society in Buffalo.

They seem to be old revolvers, I would buy it just to have it at that price but I would not use it for a carry weapon. my 2 cents worth.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
I don't know what the gun is worth, because IJ has made many different models, from top-breaks through remove-the-cylinder, and you didn't specify.

IJ pistols have always been fairly-decent-quality, inexpensive guns.

I don't know whether the gun takes only low-power .32 S&W, or slightly more powerful, modern .32 cartridges, but in either case, I do not believe that this would be a good self-defense option.
From experience, I suggest that the absolute minimum for a revolver self-defense cartridge would be the .38 S&W, firing as heavy a bullet as can be found for it. (The British once used 200-grain slugs.)

But then, someone else might know a lot more about this than do I.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »
Some Internet ammo dealers do still sell .32 cartridge ammo.  I recently sold a .32 revolver and ammo was obtainable.  You'll be looking for .32 S&W ammo, i.e.
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.32%20S&W