Author Topic: The Good, the Bad, and the Soon to be Ugly!  (Read 569 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
The Good, the Bad, and the Soon to be Ugly!
« on: May 17, 2019, 07:42:19 AM »
Things were reallly looking up. I had a promotion and increases responsibilities at work. Thins were hecti, but going along as I acclimated to my new role. And, then the pain started. Increased pain in my right leg forced me to seek out some medical help.

You may, or may not know, that in 2001 I ahd what is called a "Fem Fem" that is otherwise known as a Femoral Bypass. In my case, it was a tube tht was inserted from my right Femoral to my left femoral. A short time later and I was back in the saddle for quite a few years - until 2017.
In 2017, I was admitted to the hospital to have some damage repaired to the graft, and a new graft inserted into my right femoral just above the knee. Again, life was good and I continued on.On May 3rd of this year, I was having a problem with my right leg. After meeting with my cardiovascular surgeon, I was going, once again, under the knife. It was not to be so peasant this time.  A graft was placed in my left calf and a new graft replaced teh previous one on my  right side.  As I write this, the staples have been removed from my left calf and the staples i my right leg will be removed on Monday.
But, that's not the bad. During my stay, it was discovered that I was suffering from some heart problems; something they found  during a stress test. They (the "medicals") oushed very hard to give me heart surgery right after the "Fem" surgery. That was something that I turned down until I heal from this go-a-round They tried fear tactics; "You could have a heart attack!"  That old dog don't hunt with me.
Anyway, I may have to undergo some sort of heart surgery that has not yet been clearly defined except that they would put stints in certain places. 

Without going into detail, let's just say that I have some serious decisions to make regarding all of this.
I am still waiting to be cleared from this latest go-a-round to return to work. So, I am laying around the house, healing, and trying not to be concerned with loosing everything that has been gained in the last year; work gains as well as financial.  However, I will say that retirement is looking better, as the stress of trying to meet too many people's expectations with no resources to do so is getting to be somewhat over-whelming.

Taking a break now.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

LEJoe

Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Soon to be Ugly!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »
Rest easy Mr. T. Keep us updated as this unfolds. Sounds like a good time to knock the dust off that flute.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 01:48:56 PM »
Rest up. Heart surgery will knock you out for months of recovery.
But if there's at least a 50-50 chance of a good result, it's worth the risk!

The point of it all is to live a comfortable life, for as long as it's possible.
Quality of life is the real issue: There has to be an advantage for you (and your family) in the process.
Becoming a living, breathing vegetable is not a good outcome, but a return to almost-normal would be absolutely priceless.

Please keep us informed!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »
"knock the dust off that flute!"
Now that a new one on me . . . . .
I love it!  . . . . . Take some well given advice Mr. "T" . . . . "Knock The Dust Off That Flute!"

"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

flyover

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 07:50:20 AM »
Taurian, sorry to read of your health troubles.

Prayers lifted up for you.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 05:02:34 AM »
As an update. The healing process continues. I am able to work - from the homestead, and have been for several weeks. I am no longer needing the assistance of a walker to get around, although I can't say that I am steady on my feet yet.

All of the staples in both legs have been removed. Man, what discomfort! However, I have actually been able to make it to the range on two occasions than to my shooting buddy.

Will probably be going back in this month for a heart bypass (I don't know how many yet), since my cardio-vascular surgeon has cleared me for that surgery. I'll find out the detail on the 17th of this month.

In the meantime, I am working as much as I can (luckily, I just need to use my brain and my fingers), and I am preparing a few reviews on a couple of new holsters and, hopefully, a couple of new pistols.

And, in case some of you are wondering what the heck, "Knock the dust off that flute!" means, it was a reference to my playing the Native American Flute, which is something that I have not done in quite a while.

I have never heard of something called 'Vascular Dementia' until now. I guess that I have to take all of this seriously. Yuh think! Looks like some short-term dis-a-bility is in my future.

As they say, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger!" 
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
"Vascular dementia"?
Your veins are going crazy?

Your heart is in 3/4, but your arteries are in 5/4 and your veins are in 10/3?

Yep. No doubt about it: You need that flute!
Steve,

NorCalChuck

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 04:10:22 PM »
Perhaps a Tuba would be more fitting.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

pop pop

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
Taruain, I had 2 stints inserted in my arteries then had double bypass 3 years ago. One of my bypasses did not work so I had to have n additional 2 more stints inserted afterwards.

I did not have any arteries they could use in my legs so they took one from my left breast then the other from my left forearm. This is the one(L Forearm) that would not carry the load so they re-stinted the original artery that was blocked. I have been good for 3 years now.

I won't sugar coat it, but the bypass was hard, however one can get through it.

I wish you well and will pray for your recovery. Let us know when you go for the surgery. By the way, I highly recommend the surgery!!!! I am 71 now and doing well. Just had extensive testing done last December and the Dr released me for 2 years before I will need new testing. That test takes 4 hours. It comes after the 1st year surgery, then every 2 years providing things go well with the patient.

Growing old is not for sissies. By the way, I have diabetes brought on by agent orange poisoning, which they say probably caused my heart disease. I spent a year in VietNam.

Exercise helps a lot. I have a treadmill, but can't ride a bicycle after knee replacement surgery last year. Lifting light weights also keeps things limber. My Dr encourages this.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2019, 09:21:14 PM »
Perhaps a Tuba would be more fitting.

;D    ;D    ;D    ::)

A tuba what?
I use a tuba toothpaste.

Steve,

flyover

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2019, 07:05:09 AM »
Prayers lifted up for you, Taurian.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »
Being admitted to hospital on Friday, 6/21/2019. Bypass surgery schedule for Tuesday, June 25, 2019 or Wednesday June 26, 2019.

They will be doing test on Friday to determine what, if any, veins they can find to use. They will be monitoring my blood levels and such over the weekend to determine what needs to be done to me for the operation.

I hope to resume posting soon.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 12:44:00 PM »
Best of luck to you, Taurian!
My bet is that you'll be OK.
Steve,

pop pop

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 04:44:41 PM »
I made it through the surgery, and so can you. Hope it goes well also. 

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 05:06:37 AM »
Well, I am here and I am being poked, prodded, and pulled.  Surgery is still on the assigned schedule.
I have already decided that if I make it through this thing, the Smith and Wesson Pro Series 9mm 1911 will be mine as a "recovery" gift to myself. So, stay tuned to an update to the review that I posted on the range rental.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
The hospital atmosphere is affecting your reasoning!
You want a 9mm 1911?
That's heresy, in the halls of the J.M. Browning shrine!

But if you get through this surgery successfully, I'll personally pray that Browning forgives you.
And I'm sure that he will.
Steve,

pop pop

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 02:14:01 PM »
Taurian, I purchased a Lazy Boy chair that was motorized recline. It sure helped with the recline and getting back up. I slept in it for 3 weeks, as my wife has a bad back, and could not lift me out of the bed. I was really sore in my chest. Two weeks brought a lot more comfort all the way around.

They had me up the next day and walking the halls of the Hospital. They did try to get me up the same day as surgery, but I had some atrial fib which took a day to smooth out.

I had no veins they could harvest in my legs. They took one from my left breast and one from my left forearm.

I did a lot of walking, in my house after I came home. I'm talking in thousands of feet.  I have a large dining room, den, eating area, and kitchen, that are all connected via doors. It is 85' around in a circle. I walked a few rounds, every hour, then got up to 30 times around, 3 times a day. It Helped bigly! They were big on walking on a level floor as any jarring was painful at first and they did not want me to fall. I had to walk on a walker at first. I am back up to 2 miles per day on a treadmill, and 3 years out from surgery. I highly recommend the surgery, if you need it.

I pray you will do well.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2019, 09:36:56 AM »
Well, I did make it through surgery. Unfortunately, not all is well. I was given three bypasses out of five. Apparently, there were not enough non-calcified veins available. All three that were available were taken from the same leg that I had vascular surgery performed.  Ah, the pains of my yout'!
Since I am a former smoker, oxygen and its use is an issue. They put me on oxygen for a while.
Lot's of changes in lifestyle to consider. I will probably retire permanently from professional technical writing after this. This little event took something out of me. I hope to continue writing, on a smaller scale, about guns and gear.

Anyway, I am healing and that's a good thing. In less than a month, I will be shooting small caliber pistols on the way to returning to my .45 ACP.  Shooting rifles may come later. In a month, I'll be back driving.  Shooting and driving are two freedoms that I value the most.

pop pop

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Taurian, I am glad to hear you did well with the surgery. Yes, my double bypass took some out of me, but that will get better over time. Do go and do the physical therapy they offer. Helped me to get over the surgery a lot faster. I am back to walking 2 miles daily (3 1/2 MPH) on  my tredmill at home now. I can no longer ride my Schwinn air dine stationary bike, because of knee surgery last year, which I do miss. Exercise and diet helps me.

They gave me more daily meds plus aspirin every day. Just maybe they can stent the other arteries they were not able to replace.  I only had two arteries and one they took from my forearm was not able to carry the load so they had to put another stent in the original one that was 100% blocked. Listen to your heart because I started have slight chest pains, about 6  months after bypass, and went into the emergency room and they took me in and re-stented that artery. Had that not happened my life, if I was still here, would have been really compromised and my quality of life much less. I also have 5 stents in my heart now.

Thank God for what they are able to do now. 

Edited to add I was a smoker in early years but quit in 1986. They guess my heart disease came from diabetes, which was caused by agent orange many years ago.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2019, 02:37:19 PM »
Welcome back, Taurian!
You may be somewhat limited, but it's nice to see you writing again.
Steve,

NorCalChuck

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 06:32:03 PM »
Hey Taurian . . . . . Welcome back into the fold.
Look at it this way you made it to the top of the hill and all is well . . . . mostly!
As I always say, "I'm still alive and vertical!"
Time to slow down and smell the roses . . . . . as they say in the movies!
Or as we say at the range, "There is nothing like the smell gun smoke it the morning!"

I better quit while I'm ahead!
I am ahead am I not I?

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2019, 03:57:11 AM »
Two of my freedoms that I enjoy is shooting and driving. I hope to be back doing both as soon as possible. It looks like I'll be shooting a .22 pistol for a while until I can work back to my beloved .45 ACP. The Nurse told me no rifles, because of the recoil. I had already anticipated that.

As far as work goes, I am still employed, but on leave and have applied for short-term disability.
I have a couple of holsters and gun belts coming in that I may write a review for. I have plans for a couple of pistol reviews, but until I can drive again...

My major goal right now is just to recover from this and see what lies ahead both professionally and financially.

It's good to be on the green side of the grass and good to be here.

NorCalChuck

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
"It's good to be on the green side of the grass and good to be here."

AMEN!
I'll drink to that!

flyover

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »
Good to know that you are on the road to recovery.