Author Topic: A Recent Business Trip  (Read 180 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
A Recent Business Trip
« on: December 15, 2018, 06:07:15 AM »
Earlier this month I was tasked to take a business trip to Fayetteville, North Carolina. Actually, I would be staying at a hotel in Fayettevile, but traveling to and from Ft. Bragg on a daily basis. The trip was planned for a two-week stay, which I thought would lend the opportunity to keep up my weekly range practice, as I had found an outdoor range about twenty miles from where I was staying.

Since South and North Carolina are reciprocal states to Georgia, in terms of carrying a concealed firearm, my Ruger SR1911 'Commander' accompanied me on the trip and was nestled nicely in the Miami Vice II shoulder holster along with two spare magazines.  As a back-up, I had my usual EDC packed in my baggage with enough defensive and practice ammunition to see me through the trip.

In the evenings, while treating myself to a much-deserved meal, the Ruger was in it's usual position. In fact, anywhere 'off-base' the Ruger was with me. Of course, I could not carry 'on-base' and that meant I had to have a way to secure the firearm. Unfortunately, this hotel was not like the last hotel that I stayed in that had an in-room safe to store valuables.  The front office manager told me that they had small safety deposit boxes in the office that I could use.  While I did not tell the office manager what I was going to store, I knew that the safety deposit box was not going to be adequate. Instead, I opted to store all my 'special stuff' in my baggage and hoped for the best. Fortunately, everything did work out for the best. I was not; however, comfortable at any time the Ruger was not with me - even on a military base.

My trip was cut short by a week so no range practice was in the cards. The final day, a Friday, the plan was to put in a few hours where I was going to be on base and then make the trip back to Atlanta. That's when I realized that I would be unable to go on base with a firearm. Oh, I could have, but Federal prison has never really appealed to me if the firearms had been discovered in some form or fashion. I would not be stupid enough to have one on me, but random searches can ensue on a military base - especially for a visitor.  In short, I had to forego that last day on base and make the trip back to Atlanta.

Of course, the Ruger was back in its rightful place on the trip back even during fuel and food stops. Life was normal in my world.

A lot of thoughts have been running through my head since the trip, and not just business. 

As I sort through these thoughts in this thick skull of mine, I will share them with you from time to time.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

LEJoe

Re: A Recent Business Trip
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 09:29:14 AM »
Cool beans. I'm sitting on the edge of my chair.   ;)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
I, too, await with 'bated breath...
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

flyover

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
That is just about as bad as having to go into the Post Office.

pop pop

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 04:36:55 AM »
I had to go unarmed on my last RV trip up in the New England states. I too, felt real uncomfortable not having the EDC. Too many states did not honor my CCP, and in a couple states one could not have any mag over ten or hollow point ammo.

We did not encounter any bad situations, however we didn't get out much after dark. I will say when one needs fuel one looks intently where one stops. We tried to stop on the outer edges of towns.

LEJoe

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »
Good advice pop pop.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »
I know what you mean! As here in Las Vegas Iíve had to go to Nellis AFB multiple times in the last few months, we had one of our drivers show up there with his firearm, and during the search they found it, and called the local authorities, but they informed the airmen that he wasnít a prohibitive person and the firearm is legal, they can deny him access if they want but nothing they could do! So, the driver had to make the embarrassing call to our truck boss to come get his gun so he could finish out the day, luckily for him, our company is pro 2A
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

LEJoe

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
Good deal. Lucky for him!