Author Topic: Saturday morning  (Read 426 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Saturday morning
« on: September 22, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Hello everyone!
I haven't dropped off the earth, not yet.
Lately been making more frequent trips into the higher altitudes to cut and retrieve firewood for the coming burning season.

If what "they" say is true, about the Grand Solar Minimum approaching, the old wood stove/heater will come in more handy than ever for the next couple of years.

http://thegrandsolarminimum.com/

You can read about it in the link, if interested.

Local politics are more disgusting than ever for our little town.
I'm thinking of running for Mayor next time.
I can make blunders and turn a deaf ear to people just as good as any other guy. It may as well be me, getting paid to do it!  Sheesh!

Youngest daughter and her "husband" moved to Kenai Alaska last month. Now we have a daughter in Washington, near Steve, and one in Alaska.

Suzi is planning on retiring at end of year. After that, who knows? 

The kitten Suzi rescued from certain death last April has grown exponentially!
We determined it had to have been about three days old when she brought it home.
Good old Wade bottle fed it every three hours for almost six weeks, and we have done our part to keep one of the local vets lavished with $$$ since then, in return for giving the little creature all the shots and checkups, etc.

https://youtu.be/1sZgpxwdFIA

Roger Moore, in the movie "Ffolks".

If anyone is interested, you can see a plethora of short videos of the creature on my YouTube channel

www.youtube.com/oldranger53

Haven't acquired any new firearms this year. But, I have gained insight into the benefits of dry fire, trigger control, and such as that is.

Happy Saturday everyone!

OR53, out

"Live as if there is an enemy around every corner, and behind every door." Gabe Suarez

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Saturday morning
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
I can't cut wood any more, nor can I stack large amounts, so we buy ours from a local farmer who has a wood lot.
He delivers and stacks it for us, and a neighbor 'teen-ager keeps our door-side wood rack refilled from the woodshed.

It's almost time to start the fire.
We wait until the temperature is steadily in the 50s, and then we keep one or the other stove going (or both, some days) all day, every day.

Nice work on the kitten, by the way.

Stay warm!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 06:22:58 PM »
Thanks Steve!

I surely don't want to go and cut the wood any longer, but firewood has become such a hot commodity around here lately...what with all the city refugees flocking here to escape whatever social hell-hole they came from...and bringing with them contractors, politicians, and the $$$ they've extracted from the other states.
The cost of wood already cut is becoming restrictive for those of us who are long time residents.

Sigh. I wouldn't do it IF I could afford to purchase it.
The last two winters we burned  roughly 7-8 cords, maybe more.
If I were to buy that much wood, it would be around $1,500-$1,800.

I suppose I get a secondary benefit by going up there. It DOES get me out of the house and engage in vigorous activity for a while. It's almost like a workout, sort of.

https://youtu.be/rtsznljfHZo

I took a short video of where I went this afternoon to cut a little more.

Being the weekend,  there was a bunch of campers up there too, so I was limited in where I could go and stuff. The place I wanted to go was awash with flatlanders, out for a final fling before the nice weather ends, like tomorrow.

I'd like a cold rain to come and drive them all back home so I can get up there and get the logs I have scoped out for the major cutting days. Hopefully I'll be able to do that this week coming up.

Cheers to all!

OR53, out

"Live as if there is an enemy around every corner, and behind every door." Gabe Suarez

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:12:29 PM »
Wade, you wouldn't like it here!

Our year's-worth of wood is about 3.5 cords, and it costs us $1,800.00, cut, split, delivered, and stacked neatly into our woodshed. That's at least twice what it goes for, where you live.

However, that's only about 2/3 of what all-winter-long electric heat would cost us.

I stopped being able to cut and split wood in winter-long quantities about seven years ago. I stopped being able to stack a winter's-worth of wood in our woodshed about four years ago. Now, I can't comfortably bring a week's-worth down from the woodshed!
Getting old sucks!
Steve,

oldranger53

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »
Hi
This is me, of course, sitting on my current stack of firewood.
I don't cut the pieces to proper length while in the mountains. That would take much longer.
I estimate there is roughly 3-3.5 cords of wood in this pile shown in the pic. It goes deeper than the pic shows.
As time and weather permits, I'll return and bring some more down from "up there" , but for now, I'm exhausted.
Time for the cutting, splitting, and stacking.

OR53, out

oldranger53

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 05:52:20 AM »

Wade, you wouldn't like it here!

<snip>

Getting old sucks!

Yes, getting old sucks!

LEJoe

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:27:05 AM »
Nice look'en wood pile there Wade! Do you have a log splitter or are you wedge and sledge'n it? A good "air tight" wood burner is great to have. We had one and I miss it. Not much need for it here now, I'm about 40 miles south of Tampa off I-75. I enjoyed being out doors working on the wood pile. I tried to have all the wood cut by Thanksgiving for the following year. Seldom achieved that goal, but that was the goal none the less.

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:04:49 PM »
Nice look'en wood pile there Wade! Do you have a log splitter or are you wedge and sledge'n it? A good "air tight" wood burner is great to have. We had one and I miss it. Not much need for it here now, I'm about 40 miles south of Tampa off I-75. I enjoyed being out doors working on the wood pile. I tried to have all the wood cut by Thanksgiving for the following year. Seldom achieved that goal, but that was the goal none the less.
Hi LE Joe!

No, I have a splitting maul and a couple axes. I've never (so far), needed a wedge and sledge combination.
If the snow holds off a few more weeks, I plan to go back up there for a couple more truck loads soon.

The last multi-day wood cutting campaign took me three days to recover from.
My shoulders and elbows never hurt as bad as they have been lately.

Thanks for asking!  Haha!

OR53, out

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 08:15:53 PM »
...The last multi-day wood cutting campaign took me three days to recover from.
My shoulders and elbows never hurt as bad as they have been lately...

Been there. Done that. Gave it up for old age.

The smaller sizes of electric/hydraulic wood splitters are pretty inexpensive (see Loews or Home Depot). Whatever the price, they are really cheap compared to your shoulders and elbows.

Here's one that's a duplicate of, but a different brand from, the one we have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sun-Joe-Logger-Joe-5-Ton-15-Amp-Electric-Log-Splitter-LJ601E/203232090

Here's another sample from the internet: https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/p/5-ton-yardmax-electric-log-splitter-yso552/
Steve,