Author Topic: Is a Parking Space Worth...  (Read 475 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Is a Parking Space Worth...
« on: July 21, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »
...pulling a firearm or dying for?  I think not.  Unfortunately, Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law will become the target of attention. Sad that a parking space dispute caused a death.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand-your-ground-law-protects-shooter-in-deadly-fight-over-parking-space-sheriff/?hl=1&noRedirect=1
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: Is a Parking Space Worth...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 05:00:55 PM »
I am not sure I understand what happened.
A woman parks in a handicapped spot without a permit.
A guy gets out of his car and starts yelling at her.
Another guy comes out and shoves the yelling guy to the ground.
The guy that got shoved to the ground shoots the guy that shoved him.
The guy that got shot dies.
Did the woman get a ticket for parking in a handicapped zone without a permit?
She now what to see about suing the guy that shot the guy that shoved her to the ground?

I am confused or the New York Post is leaving out an awful lot of information?????
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

BobC

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:14:39 AM »
I listened to the Press Conference that the County Sheriff gave on this incident, he said that under the law he could NOT arrest the shooter. The shooter had claimed he"feared for his life".

The sheriff said the incident would be reviewed by the county attorney who would make a final determination.

While the Sheriff very carefully explained the law, he seemed pretty disgusted with the whole thing, he said his job was to enforce the law.   

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
If you are carrying a deadly defense weapon, it is your moral duty to avoid confrontations, almost at any cost. You are not a cop, so don't act like one.

This fool confronted a driver because she had parked illegally. Then her "boyfriend," the unmarried father of her children, started a physical fight with the fool. At that point, we have at least two fools. Maybe three.

It is not your job to play parking monitor, nor is it your job to correct someone else's morals. Remember that you are carrying a deadly weapon, and that it should come into play only in an unavoidable emergency. Therefore, it is up to you to avoid confrontation, thereby to avoid creating emergencies.

The "boyfriend" got what he deserved. Now the shooter will get his own comeuppance when the "girlfriend" takes him to civil court seeking damages.
She may not win her case, but it will surely—and appropriately—bankrupt the shooter.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

LEJoe

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »
  As of today, he can't even be charged with a crime here in Florida. Stay tuned folks.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 08:15:19 PM »
If you are carrying a deadly defense weapon, it is your moral duty to avoid confrontations, almost at any cost. You are not a cop, so don't act like one.

This fool confronted a driver because she had parked illegally. Then her "boyfriend," the unmarried father of her children, started a physical fight with the fool. At that point, we have at least two fools. Maybe three.

It is not your job to play parking monitor, nor is it your job to correct someone else's morals. Remember that you are carrying a deadly weapon, and that it should come into play only in an unavoidable emergency. Therefore, it is up to you to avoid confrontation, thereby to avoid creating emergencies.

The "boyfriend" got what he deserved. Now the shooter will get his own comeuppance when the "girlfriend" takes him to civil court seeking damages.
She may not win her case, but it will surely—and appropriately—bankrupt the shooter.
I agree with you completely!

Anyone who carries a firearm needs to avoid situations that may escalate, like this one.
I know it isn't easy sometimes but still we must!
The man who did the shooting, got himself into that situation by scolding the woman.

Ugh

sent from phone, typos possible

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

flyover

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »
I ticks me off to see people without the handicap permit parking in those spots but not to the point of confrontation.

What ever happened to - just walk away?

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 06:46:50 AM »

I almost agree with you, but I don’t think being shoved to the ground is justifiable for shooting another, based on the video in my mind that’s not a deadly threat so? I can’t say “the boyfriend got what he deserved” was he a fool? Possibly, but that’s shouldn’t be a death sentence, was the guy that was yelling at someone for illegally parking probably, but doesn’t give him the right to yell at her, like you stated, he’s not a cop, and he’s carrying a deadly weapon, I do believe. There is 3 fools here! First the woman for taking a handicap spot that a real handicapped person might have needed, the 2nd the one how pulled and shot another because he knocked him to the ground, and the 3rd is the one who shoved him to the ground, when he took a argument to shoving, the sad ending is All involved have a life changing effect, and can never be undone

Those that choose to carry a firearm, as you also stated need to avoid potential dangers at all cost! I as a proud man have bitten my tongue and turned and walked away, even though I was in the right, just because I might be right, still is not justified in a shooting

I truly hope I never need shoot another, and hope everyone that also chooses to carry has the same hopes
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 02:56:48 PM »
Thank You crzyjarmans . . . . . .
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."