Author Topic: What's the Point of it All?  (Read 208 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: What's the Point of it All?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
Since I didn't believe that this could be true I had to look it up.
What we have here is what is commonly referred to as a child like mind at work.
We are in serious jeopardy as a species . . . . . climate change is effecting the brain cells.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5776629/Judge-calls-drastic-rethink-way-use-knives-kitchens-stabbing-cases.html
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
I believe that it is something way deeper than global warming that is affecting critical thinking on a global basis. What it is, ain't exactly clear.

I do believe that we have, somehow, entered an era of artificial intelligence. AI, in this sense, has nothing to do with robots or things of that nature.  We may have reached a point that humans think themselves so intelligent that they have, in fact, reverted to dismal stupidity. Cognitive thinking is no longer employed but is, instead, replaced by a small spark of knowledge that is carried by the owner with the believe that, because of that one spark, lends them to be all-wise and all-knowing. "... A foolish man opens mouth and removes all doubt." - Confucius saying.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
I disagree.
Instead, I believe it to be a form of wishful thinking.
I believe that the wishful thinking is based in the certain knowledge that our civilization has no widely-acceptable answer to the problem of violence.
As a civilization, we are unable to accept the reality that there are violent people among us, and therefore are incapable of seeking out a workable, meaningful solution to the problem.

So instead, we attack the tools used by the violent people among us, hoping (irrationally) that somehow the removal of the tools will forestall the violence.
It doesn't work, of course, but we still remain unwilling to acknowledge the real causes of the violence around us. So we continue to ban more and more of the tools of the violent, in the (still irrational) hope that doing so will have a useful effect.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 01:54:37 PM »
...And, speaking of irrationality, how effective could it be, to decree that kitchen knives must have rounded tips? How difficult could it be, to grind a rounded tip into a sharp point? What, then, would such a decree accomplish?

And what about professional knives, as, for instance, used by butchers? Butchers need sharp points to help them fillet and otherwise de-bone meat. Is it the assumption of the regulators that no butcher would ever commit violence with his knife? Or is the decree to cause butchers' knives to also have rounded tips?

If the regulators eliminate guns and require blunt knives, do they truly believe that those who intend violence would somehow be stymied? It seems so, doesn't it? But then, what is to be done about fertilizer-and-diesel-fuel bombs, as was used by Timothy McVey? Civilization needs both diesel fuel and fertilizer, so they can't be removed from the marketplace.

And what about trucks and cars? Both of them have been used in recent mass murders.

Silly, isn't it?
Steve,

NorCalChuck

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
Hey Maybe . . . . Just Maybe you have hit on it Steve!
We need to remove vehicles from civilization.
If you had to walk everywhere maybe by the time you got there you would be to tired to club someone to death.
But then someone would want to remove clubs from existence.
But they would have to walk over to your cave and remove you club.

Hey this is fun . . . . .
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
 ;D    ;D    ;D
Steve,

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 05:12:22 PM »
You all are making valid and logical points (no pun intended). 

"I think. Therefore I am." Comes to mind.

There is no Utopia for humans, not this time around.
Perhaps a catastrophic elimination of most of the life on earth will be necessary. You know, wipe the slate clean and start over kind of thing. Maybe just maybe....nah, it would be just as bad after a hard boot I'm sure.

They can't accept that humans are imperfect beings.

sent from phone, typos possible

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »
The point is (no pun intended) that any object, any object, can be turned into a weapon. It is up to the user, and their resourcefulness, to make it such.

Speech, these days, seems to be very effective at being a weapon. This is just part of my theory on 'Cultural Gunocide' that seems to be shared by some. This only a theory based on the 8 steps to Genocide. There are eight steps of genocide: classification, symbolization, dehumanization, organization, polarization, preparation, extermination, and denial.

NorCalChuck

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
And if you don't believe that just ask facebook . . . . .

That is of course if you participate in that sort of thing.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »
Once you learn the cast of characters, Face Book is an fascinating study of 'Transactional Analysis.' Most social forums cannot come close to it, possibly with the exception of Twitter.

flyover

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 08:01:42 AM »
And to think they once nigh ruled the world.