Author Topic: Depression and Mental Illness  (Read 299 times)

pop pop

Depression and Mental Illness
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
Saw a evening news (CBS) cast that reported the story that now Doctors want to start screening young children for depression. Of course you do know where that is headed. That question HAVE YOU EVER HAD MENTAL PROBLEMS on the background check form?

Possibly, they will report any depression of children to the gun registry as having mental illness, which the Dr. stated depression was. Guess what will happen when they go to purchase a gun down the road? Better not allow them to check your child. They talked about children from 12 years old and onward.

I am getting ready for knee surgery next Monday. A Medicare case worker, for my Dr, called me today and she casually asked if I have had any depression lately. I have been asked that question by 5 different medical people in the last month. Guys, what is going on here? 

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Depression and Mental Illness
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
...A Medicare case worker, for my Dr, called me today and she casually asked if I have had any depression lately. I have been asked that question by 5 different medical people in the last month. Guys, what is going on here?
[emphasis added]

I can't feed your paranoia.
The question merely is based upon the well-known fact that many older people suffer from depression.
It isn't necessarily a permanent state of depression, either. For instance, episodic pain issues frequently cause episodic depression (that is, while the pain is going on).

If you have depression that is related to pain issues, it can be treated by treating the pain.
(Ask me how I know this.)

But, at least so far, there is no mechanism for reporting you as ineligible for gun ownership if you admit to suffering episodic, pain-related depression.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

pop pop

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:03:10 AM »
I have a good feeling after they alter the nix check system there will be a way to report depression to the system. It will keep that person from purchasing a gun, IMO. If they can label a child early on then they will never be allowed to purchase any guns because of depression. That is my concern Steve.

I believe Pre Trump will allow that plus all guns sales, even private, will go through the system. I am giving my collection to my grandkids parents now.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 04:45:45 PM »
Well truthfully, guys, it's depressing to me that the world we now live in is so much WORSE than the one we grew up in, believed in, sacrificed for, etc...

Back in 2010, I went to the VAMC at Ft. Harrison up by Helena. Suzi and I had just spent the better part of a year supporting our oldest daughter and her family on Whidbey Island (over by where Steve lives). She had suffered a heart attack, and then gotten a brain injury when the hospital allowed her to code and there was no crash cart on the floor, leaving her without oxygen to her brain for about four minutes.
To say the least, the whole family was traumatized, two special needs children, one 9 and the other 5...and the husband shocked beyond his ability to rebound effectively.
We dropped everything (we were living in Utah at the time), and pulled our Airstream over there and provided direct support for them, loosing our backsides financially in the process.
Then, when we left and returned to Montana, there were myriad loose ends that we couldn't tie up.
We were pretty much forced to leave when we did, for our own survival.

That departure felt like leaving wounded in a hot LZ for the overall success of a mission. It felt like watching someone drown and ...you get the picture.

When I went to the VAMC, all I wanted was someone to TALK TO about the situation, someone who was not emotionally connected to the situation. I needed an OBJECTIVE ear to listen, and whatever advice may have been available by a counselor,  etc...
I told the lady I finally got an appointment with that I didn't want or need any kind of antidepressant drugs. I wasn't "depressed". Confused, stunned, in need of some kind of objectivity, but not depressed, I said.

The response I got was, " do you have access to firearms?"

"Of course" I told her. This is Montana, after all.

I told her I wasn't sleeping as good as I should be.
Her response to that was to prescribe a "sleeping aid".
This "sleeping aid" turned out to be Trazadone (sp?). THAT of course, is an old school antidepressant!
She tried to sneak it into the picture even though I was quite clear that I didn't want or need any antidepressant drugs.

It was sly.
It was sneaky.
She was hell-bent on getting yet another veteran on antidepressant drugs.

I took the pills home but never took any of them. I didn't even go back again with any hope of finding an objective ear.
I did go back to get a lung biopsy in 2011, but that's it.

I won't make that mistake again.

sent from phone, typos possible

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:07:26 PM »
I did not like the above stories.
Good, Bad or Indifferent I just do not like to read or hear about that sort of . . . . .
I don't know what to call any of the three . . . . . .
Just the fact that this sort of discussion is even going on makes me very upset.

I think I am getting depressed . . . . .
Anyone got and pills?

Oh Well . . . . . 
One Tequila
Two Tequila
Three Tequila Floor . . . . . . 
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 10:46:01 PM »
"Snark Attack Area"...that's just wonderful.
I dunno where you find these things, but don't stop now.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2018, 01:53:47 PM »
I stopped drinking Tequila LONG before I stopped drinking altogether!

After about half a bottle of the stuff, I had little or no control over my mouth. I was asked to leave more than one or two bars here and there. Hummm.
If that wasn't bad enough, I had this persistent self image of invincibility while engaging with ol' Jose', White or Gold it didn't matter.
That too was criteria for much contemplation while recovering from Tequila bouts.

Yep, ol' Jose' tried to kill me many times before I decided not to engage with him any longer.

No snark here, just sad reality.

sent from phone, typos possible

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.