Author Topic: so what do you do? throw the gun down or set it down on the ground?  (Read 365 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
“The police didn't do a good job,” Garces said. “I told them I took the gun away from the man, I was putting the gun down. I was doing what they told me to do and I still got shot…they need better training.”
Amarillo police did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment. In statements to local press after the incident, officials said they are investigating the incident.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/02/man-disarms-would-be-church-shooter-gets-shot-by-police.html

This is a risk you take by having a gun in your hand when the police arrive.
Many these days are shooting first asking questions later.
Due to the way the bad guys are taking them out.
Time will tell.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: so what do you do? throw the gun down or set it down on the ground?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:26:31 PM »
It is what all of us need to consider - how to secure a firearm (or firearms) after a shooting whether it be ours or the shooter's firearm. We, obviously don't want to take the chance that someone may pick the darn thing up and use it or remove it from the scene (not that anyone would ever do such a thing!). We also don't want to take the chance, as in this event, that we will get shot by the responding authorities.

This is not an easy question to answer.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 01:54:43 PM »
Kick it away and then stand on it.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 05:06:48 AM »
The main thing is to be empty-handed when your 'backup' arrives, regardless of how the firearm is secured. You have to remember that if there is a gathering of people, all are suspects until cleared. The responding officers usually have no idea who is the bad guy and who is the good guy until then.

In most training, after the shooting part is over, the firearm is usually placed back into the holster hot (loaded) or not (not loaded), which depends on the type of training. At some point in all civilian training, there needs to be a point where securing the firearm need to be discussed and possible scenarios demonstrated.

If I have to shoot someone who just broke into my house, I need to ensure that the firearms (mine and the home invader(s) are secured. If time allows, mine will be unloaded, locked open, and I will be some distance from that firearm.  If in a public situation, and depending on the situation, I would probably holster mine, securing the firearm used by the attacker, and let the LEOs disarm me. The point is that I don't want a firearm in my hand; I want to show empty hands and that I am not the threat.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:27:27 PM »
No kidding

Sent from BlackBerry KeyOne

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.