Author Topic: Long Brl for Mossberg 500  (Read 280 times)

pop pop

Long Brl for Mossberg 500
« on: March 01, 2018, 06:21:57 AM »
I gave my 20 ga Mossberg mdl 500 youth mdl home defender to my grandson to rabbit, bird, and squirrel hunt with. It had the 18 1/2 brl. I ordered a 26" brl and 3 choke tubes for it yesterday. The brl was on sale for 175.00 and the choke tubes were 22.00 each.

His dad and he hunts on a friends farm around Mt Pleasant South Carolina. He has shot cotton tail, swamp rabbit, and squirrel with the gun so far. He loves to hunt and spend time with his dad.

I still remember going hunting, with my dad, around Mt Sterling and Camargo KY when we lived in the Blue Grass State. That is where I was born and lived until I took my senior trip(Vietnam in 67-68). Tet in 68 was lively. Still having many problems from my visit there.

My grandson Parker is a hunter at heart. He always want to shoot guns when he comes to visit. Really likes it and is a fair shot for a boy of 9. I started hunting myself when I was 8. I am glad his dad takes time to take him hunting and fishing. Those are memories he will remember for life. I know I sure have.

I could have added a few dollars to the cost, and purchased a new one, but he has a versatile gun that will last him for life. Just maybe they won't ban it, in his lifetime, however it holds 6 rounds without the plug. The shot gun was brand new except I did pattern it a couple of times with some different ammo. I used it for a house gun. Still got its big brother the 12 ga.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Long Brl for Mossberg 500
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
The 20-gauge shotgun is an excellent choice. I prefer the older Mossy 20s' over the newer ones; they seem to be much better made. A Remington 870 in 20 is the upstairs house gun while a Mossy 20 'Tactical' is the downstairs gun.

I also have  Winchester Model 12 in 20 that was given to me by my third wife. It was her father's shotgun, which he used for hunting back in Ohio when she was but a child. The bluing is nearly gone, but the shotgun shoots as if it were new.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
"third wife"
Sounds like me.
Sometimes I muse about what a "meeting" of all the ex's would be like. But then, I come back to reality and stop the musing.

More on point, I agree about the 20ga!

I had a Mossburg 20ga years ago. It had an issue with 3" shells. It didn't like to feed them, especially if I were racking the slide in a hasty manner.
I'm sure that issue was specific to that particular firearm. It wouldn't stop me from buying another.

Sent from BlackBerry KeyOne

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

LEJoe

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 05:05:21 PM »
$175.00 seems kinda steep to me. But I haven't tried to buy one. Starting to look for one in 12 gauge with a rib. Wasn't expecting to pay THAT much.