Author Topic: Depression and Mental Illness  (Read 89 times)

pop pop

Depression and Mental Illness
« on: February 26, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »
Saw a evening news (CBS) cast that reported the story that now Doctors want to start screening young children for depression. Of course you do know where that is headed. That question HAVE YOU EVER HAD MENTAL PROBLEMS on the background check form?

Possibly, they will report any depression of children to the gun registry as having mental illness, which the Dr. stated depression was. Guess what will happen when they go to purchase a gun down the road? Better not allow them to check your child. They talked about children from 12 years old and onward.

I am getting ready for knee surgery next Monday. A Medicare case worker, for my Dr, called me today and she casually asked if I have had any depression lately. I have been asked that question by 5 different medical people in the last month. Guys, what is going on here? 

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Depression and Mental Illness
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
...A Medicare case worker, for my Dr, called me today and she casually asked if I have had any depression lately. I have been asked that question by 5 different medical people in the last month. Guys, what is going on here?
[emphasis added]

I can't feed your paranoia.
The question merely is based upon the well-known fact that many older people suffer from depression.
It isn't necessarily a permanent state of depression, either. For instance, episodic pain issues frequently cause episodic depression (that is, while the pain is going on).

If you have depression that is related to pain issues, it can be treated by treating the pain.
(Ask me how I know this.)

But, at least so far, there is no mechanism for reporting you as ineligible for gun ownership if you admit to suffering episodic, pain-related depression.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

pop pop

Re: Depression and Mental Illness
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 06:03:10 AM »
I have a good feeling after they alter the nix check system there will be a way to report depression to the system. It will keep that person from purchasing a gun, IMO. If they can label a child early on then they will never be allowed to purchase any guns because of depression. That is my concern Steve.

I believe Pre Trump will allow that plus all guns sales, even private, will go through the system. I am giving my collection to my grandkids parents now.