Author Topic: Stand Your Ground Law  (Read 334 times)

pstan13

Stand Your Ground Law
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:17:00 AM »
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2018/02/14/iowa-stand-your-ground-law-prompts-release-slaying-suspect/337270002/

I saw this article about a test case for Iowa's Stand Your Ground Law. The Wyoming Legislature is considering a Stand Your Ground Law this session http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2018/Introduced/SF0071.pdf.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: Stand Your Ground Law
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
I would think that if we had more "stand your ground laws," we would have less mass shootings. But that is just my opinion and I have been wrong before.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
I like the part; ""A reasonable person being attacked in a dark alley by masked men would believe their life to be in jeopardy," Heckerman wrote in his order. "

If he was a 'reasonable man' he would not have been in a dark alley, as no 'reasonable and prudent man' would be in a dark alley - in most cases.  Was he on a 'buy' where the suspects would obviously deduce that he had money. I think that what we had here was three "reasonable' men in a dark alley. The time of the incident was not given, but I have to assume that this was at night if the alley was dark.

Perhaps, he was out walking his dog. The mention of that might lead me to believe that he was an innocent victim, because I carry when I am walking my dog, but the non-mention of 'why' he was in that alley makes him suspect, in my mind.

However, we all have the right to defend ourselves now, don't we?
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:20:23 AM »
It baffles me that some states say you must retreat or flee when being attacked! Stand your ground should be in EVERY state
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
There was a time in this country when the very idea of "run and flee" was not even a consideration.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
A popular dance step during the cold war was the 'duck and cover!'
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

pstan13

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 06:08:30 AM »
The Wyoming Legislature passed "Stand Your Ground" law yesterday on the last day of the session. Now it goes to the Governor! :)
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 06:37:21 AM »
Where, hopefully, it will pass.