Author Topic: 10 Year Ritual  (Read 221 times)

pop pop

10 Year Ritual
« on: February 02, 2018, 06:02:31 AM »
Well, I just went through , "Hopefully" my last 10 year colonoscopy. I turn 70 next month. The next one should when I turn 80, but by then it won't make much difference so I am not thinking I am going through this again. I am a hard clean out, so I had a 2 day prep, which is the absolute worst of the whole experience, if you have never had one. Two days, with nothing to eat and wearing a path to the necessary room, is pure torture, IMO. Good news is, they found nothing wrong.

I also had a endoscopy because I have bad reflux and have been on meds for years. They found a hiatal hernia and Dr told sweetie I may need to have it repaired some day. Otherwise it was all good also.

I have been fortunate, with all my health issues, that I have had good medical care in my lifetime. For one, although I am a compensated disabled Veteran, I never used the V A for my medical care. Sad to say but the level of care and meds, at our local V A Hospital, is so sub standard I never ventured there. I have always had good insurance and went for better medical care, and latest medications, by choice. Have been lucky in that I was able to choose that.

Going to have knee surgery the 5th of March if not sooner. Working on prep for that. Have my teaching class, one is required to take, next Wednesday and then all is in place to continue with the replacement on my left knee. Going to do the right one as soon as I rehab from the other. Hoping for vast improvement and less pain when walking.

My sweetie is wanting to have a big birthday party, for me, on my 70th because she said it is a big milestone for me. I am not much of a party guy so we will see. I plan to get out of it if I can.

Wanting the weather to break so I can get out with my new to me, MP 9 C 2.0 and put some more rounds through it. I finally got my Cor Bon DPX ammo which I plan to carry in it for self defense purposes. I need to make sure it is reliable in the 2.0. I also got my Aker Belt Slide holster in and it works well with the pistol. Plan to carry the 2.0 under a long tail coat and shirt. It rides nicely on my new 30 dollar gun belt. Actually I ordered another for it is the best value true gun belt I have ever seen. Good thickness and rigidity without having steel inside of it. Google 30 dollar gun belt and check them out. Cost me 34.00 after shipping.

Hope you guys have a blessed day. I have had a blessed week.   

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: 10 Year Ritual
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 01:11:52 PM »
Glad to read that youa re still 'up n' attam' pop, pop.

I went for a follow-up visit after my surgery this year for repairing a bi-femoral bypass and adding a stent to my right leg.  All test were positive and i get to go again (ultrasound+) in about six months.  You see, I have PAD (Peripheral Arterial Disease), which means the blood vessels in my legs cannot get enough blood flow. I have since come to call it "Technical Writer's Disease" as I sit for long periods of time.  I now have to get up once an hour and walk around for five minutes between 'writing sessions' and, according to my vascular surgeon, begin a walking program. Everything else looks fine, or so I am told. Well, except for a tad of COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) that, it seems, goes along with the PAD. So, this year I have to do something about that. There is no cure, I can only slow down the affects and this is something that I seriously have to address.

Luckily, I am able to get to the range/club each Sunday for 'group therapy' and socialize with like-minded friends. This is about as much 'socializing' as I get these days. This week will be special, as I get to shoot some customized .308 loads (that my friend has hand-loaded) through the Ruger Gunsite Scout.

I turn 69 this year and I am hard at work (at least that's what I tell my boss) and it looks like my services will be needed for some time to come as the company that I work for gets more and more new contracts - all, of which, require technical manuals and training programs.  All in all, I have no complaints; my work schedule is flexible and I get to work half-days (any twelve hours that I want).

So, continue hanging in there, pop pop. Optimism is a wonderful thing.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »
Mere children, all of you.
Just you wait. Ten more years, and I'll have my revenge.

Yeah, I face a colonoscopy this year, too. (Shudder.)
I say "No," but the boss (Jean) says "Yes, you will!"
So I guess that I will, after all.

Last time, the anesthetist was a young and pretty girl, so I told her that she was the best looking gas-passer I'd ever met.
Se answered, "Thank you, but it's not me who's going to be passing gas."
It was love at first quip!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 01:53:24 PM »
"Yeah, I face a colonoscopy this year, too. (Shudder.)"

Methinks, that is on the other end, isn't it?

Does CCR's "Bad Moon Rising" apply?
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 02:14:27 PM »
Sorry, if I wasn't clear.
I was referencing Roger's ten-years-in-the-future, age-80 reaming.
I now face my own age-80 colonic intrusion. I'm not looking forward to it with any sort of pleasure.
No matter how pretty the anesthetist is.

I have never tasted anything as vile as the preparation fluid.
Dave Barry called it, "a mixture of goat spit and urinal cleanser, with just a hint of lemon."
Click on: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article1928847.html
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

pop pop

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 07:08:24 AM »
I am going to the "Fat Farm" and working out regularly. Liftiing weights 3 days per week. On 3 other days I am riding my Schwinn Air dine stationary bike, and walking on the treadmill for a total workout of 40 minutes. Bone Dr wants me to strengthen my knees and legs. Said it would be beneficial in the rehab and recovery of my knees. Been doing the weight program for about 4 weeks now and can really tell the difference in my leg strength. I am able to rise, from a seated position, much better.

My surgery is scheduled for Mar 5th, but I am trying to get the DR to put me on the cancel list and get the surgery sooner. My grandson, that travels with us most times, told his Mi Mi, "Pop Pop get knee fixed, next trip." He has downs syndrome and we keep him a lot because his parents must both work. He stays with us 4 nights a week and travels with us when we go. I guess he is in travel withdrawal, like me. Will be shut down for approx. 6 to 8 weeks rehab, I am told. Trying to get back on the road as soon as possible.   

Hope to do some traveling in April through June, then have the other knee surgery in July. I don't like to travel when it is hot or cold.

Planning a big 5 or 6 week excursion(RV) up in the northeastern portion of the U S come September. Going from TN to Maine and back down the east coast to VA and then back to mid TN. Hope it will be a good trip as we have 2 other couples going with us. We always go in one direction and return by another so we can maximize our sight seeing. Sweetie has always wanted to see Vermont in fall, and eat her fill of lobster on the coast of Maine. I/we have never been in that part of the country, as I don't really care for that region, however it is the only part of the U S  we have not traveled through.

My son-in-law installed a computer chip modification to my Diesel truck, that I pull our RV with, and it has been able to boost my fuel mileage by 4 miles per gallon. That is a 100 extra miles per tank. Should save me some serious money while traveling if that translates to the towing of the RV.  I can add over 125 horsepower to my truck by pushing a button on the dash. That level is not recommended for towing heavy loads though. It has 4 different horsepower ranges and only supposed to use first two for towing. Puts too much strain on the truck suspension plus adds too much heat to the engine. I am fortunate he can do a lot of my mechanical needs.

Plans, Plans, Plans!!!!

flyover

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »
Getting old sucks but sometimes beats the alternative.