Author Topic: SAFESHOOT!!!  (Read 444 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
SAFESHOOT!!!
« on: January 20, 2018, 05:20:39 AM »
Remember back in the old days when you were responsible? I am saying this with tongue-in-cheek, because I know that you are still responsible people, as I am (or consider myself to be).

With firearms, one of our responsibilities is target identification; knowing what you are shooting at - and what is beyond that target. What if you had a device that could identify your target for you, or that a presence is in your area.  What if this device was installed in every firearm.  So, you are walking into your favorite restaurant, and you are carrying concealed as you normally are, and your cell-phone starts ringing.  You would normally glance at the screen and decide if you are going to answer the call - or not. Instead, a message scrolls across the screen advising you that another firearm with the same device installed is in the area. Probably, it is just another patron who is also armed, but now you are alerted to his or her presence.  Sound all good, right?  But, consider that the person who is carrying that firearm also receives a text message that a firearm is in the area.  The plot thickens.

As more and more processes are automated these days, people are becoming lazy. For example, take some of our vehicles these days and those possibly manufactured in the future.  Not only are the engine control system highly complex, but as AI takes hold, the vehicle will be able to report data to a database (internal or external) that will be a record of your driving habits. If you smoke in your vehicle, it will be detected and that data will be stored (as a driving distraction). Use your phone, scratch your butt. Ayup, that will be recorded as well. Pretty soon there will be an entire database that contains data about your driving habits, driving records such as trip data. Every time that you start your vehicle, data will be recorded. In fact, downtime may also be recorded and stored as data. Some of this data could end up with your insurance company and they could use that information for you or against you depending on the data received. 

We still have the responsibility of operating the vehicle, but now we have vehicles that will automatically brake because you were too "lazy" to recognize when to brake. Now, automation is a good thing at times. I thoroughly enjoy "cruise control" when I am on a long trip or in a situation where cruise control ca be used.  I select when I want the cruise control activated or deactivated and still have some control over the process. What if the vehicle's AI did that for me with no option available for me to override it.

We have sensors in vehicle that automatically turn on the vehicle's lights for us.  Pretty soon the vehicle won't even need us to drive them! Oh, wait, we already have that!

Where this topic is taking me is to a new device call "SAFESHOOT" that is attached to a long-gun that will detect other like devices in the vicinity. In the example cited in the linked article, you are out hunting with friends and a dog (or dogs) and they are also equipped with the device. Now, no one wants to shoot their friends or their dog (or dogs) so this device makes you aware of their presence when they are swept by the muzzle of you firearm. This tells you that you don't want to shoot them (unless you really do want to shoot them). The decision to shoot or not shoot is still left to you, which provides you with some control over the process.

While, of course, this device is still optional and up to the individual, I can see where it could become mandatory (given the mentality of gun-control enthusiasts).

The purpose of high-visibility clothing was to separate the friendlies from the hunted. Common sense would tell us not to shoot something that is highly visible. Should that not be enough or do we let devices rule our common sense?

Here is the link to this nice, feel-good article that is full of warm fuzzies: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/01/safeshoot-targeting-enhanced-safety/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=f003fcbc28-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-f003fcbc28-20763529

What are your thoughts?
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: SAFESHOOT!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
I think the idea is T E R R I B L E

Sent from BlackBerry KeyOne

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: SAFESHOOT!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »
Progressives just love to protect us from ourselves, which is why we have now raised three generations of people with no comprehension of the concept of personal responsibility.

Pfooie!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."