Author Topic: 9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP  (Read 69 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:53:44 AM »
I normally carry Gold Dot 124-grain JHP ammunition in any 9mm that I carry. However, I have been considering moving to the Hornady 147-grain XTP for defensive carry.

Anyone want to weigh in (no pun intended) on this move?
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

pop pop

Re: 9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
I have not ventured into the newer 147 gr market although it supposed to be better now than it was. Currently I have ordered the Cor Bon DPX all copper. I like them.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Well, I don't have a large investment in defensive ammunition for the 9mm. What I do have is mainly in the 124-grain family. Practice ammunition also falls in the 124-grain family.

In the early days of my introduction to the 9mm I kept hearing (or being told) to stay away from the 147-grain ammunition, as it was too slow, did not penetrate, and did not expand as well as the 124-grain fodder.  I pretty much took that advice at face value, not having experience with the 9mm.

However, it seems that the modern-day version of the 147-grain cartridge is much better and the cartridge is in use by numerous LE agencies.  The velocity, while slower than the 124-grain, is still faster than the .45ACP round and (seemingly) seems to be on par with the 230-grain .45ACP round in regard to penetration.

Most of what I am reading about the 147-grain fodder is mainly old news and would like to find (or hear  something more up-to-date regarding this cartridge.

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:43:32 AM »
What is your thoughts on these brands and bullet weights of ammo?

1. 45 auto Fed HST 230 gr HP LE 26.95 bx of 50

2. 45 auto 185 gr Speer Golden Saber BJHP 50 rd 21.95

3. 9 MM Speer Gold Dot 147 gr GDHP 22.95 50 rd bx

4. 9 MM + P 124 gr Personal Protection GDHP 20 rd 9.95

5. 9 MM Fed HST 147 gr HP LE 19.95 50 rd bx

6. 9 MM Fed HST 124 gr JHP LE 19.95 bx of 50

Also S G Ammo has Federal BPLE 14.95 bx of 50. I don't know about this ammo because it is from the aspect of light bullets traveling very fast. It is 115 gr +P+ ammo. As far as street effectiveness it is in the top, but is very hard on guns because of the increased pressure of the +P+ power level. Don't know how hard it would be on my MP 9 C. Your thoughts?

Taurian, do you have a opinion on any of these? I need 9 MM ammo myself. Like you, I have heard the newer generation of the 147 gr loads do a betteer job.  Not sure any of them are better than the all copper Cor Bon DPX which I am carrying now.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:52:42 AM by pop pop »

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 09:13:11 AM »
Pop pop, I hate to give you the short answer, but I must.

Buy a box of each, run a few through your particular pistol, and examine the results.

My personal preference is not to run +P ammo. But, that's my personal preference. If I absolutely need to run a hot round, I'll step up to the next caliber. There are a nuber of factors that affect my decision not to carry +P ammunition

I have found, through experimentation, that the Sig Sauer Elite Performance 230-grain JHP has the most accuracy out of my 'Rock' 1911 FS Tactical; whereas, I can't say the same for the same round through my Ruger SR 1911CMD.  I can't lay claim that the round is any more effective on a target, as far as damage, because that is always questionable in my mind. I can say that I prefer the accuracy of the cartridge in this particular firearm over any other cartridge; it strikes the target where I am pointing the pistol.

Gold Dot ammunition is a popular choice and has some good field results. But, again, it comes down to how it performs in your pistol with you shooting it.  If you find that another cartridge performs better in the same pistol, that's the one I would go with. Matching cartridges with firearms is just part and parcel of  determining what firearm/ammunition combination works best.

Another example is that my CZ75B is highly accurate with Gold Dot 124-grain JHP. The Springfield 4.5 in 9mm is not as accurate with that round and is more accurate with Federal Hydra-Shok in the same bullet weight.

If you believe that the Cor Bon DPX cartridge provides excellent accuracy in your gun in your hands, well...

Sorry for the short answer.

pop pop

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 10:14:22 AM »
Thanks Taurian. Short answer is good enough. 

pop pop

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 12:50:35 PM »
Well, I ordered about 800 rounds of all different flavors of ammo. I need to get the ammo and take my sandbags and see which ammo the MP 2.0 likes. I tell you when you purchase a new gun, that you intend to use, it is a lot of fun finding out all the particulars.

So far I have around 500 rounds through it, mostly practice ammo, and it has been reliable. I have only fired 3 different kinds of ammo so we need to try a few more, for sure what I intend to carry in it. I will most probably have around 1000 rounds through it when I finish. That should give me a good test period.

The trigger sure has a much different feel than my revolvers do. Need to get serious about working it so as to get really failure with it.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:08:35 PM »
I'm coming late to this party, for which I apologize.
But I brought some really good, locally-made cider...

I am a great believer in pushing forth the heaviest bullet that you and your pistol can stand.
Got a 9mm? Use the 147-grain bullet, HP if at all possible.
Got a .38 Special? Use the 158-grain bullet, HP or soft-lead, full-blunt wadcutter.
Got a .45? Use a 230-grain bullet, HP if at all possible.
Got a .380? Well... I keep looking for that mythical 105-grain, HP bullet. Haven't found it yet.

My thoughts are thus:
• I want all of my bullet's energy to be transferred to the, um, object that it hits. If it goes all the way through, it won't do the damage I need it to do. I want my bullet to stop inside it.
• Lighter bullets usually travel fast. Light bullets going fast can just keep on going, all the way through. This has been particularly true of the 9mm round. Useful energy ends up in the nearest wall.
• And then there's recoil. Not quantity, but quality. Heavy, slow-moving bullets (relatively speaking, of course...105 grains isn't truly heavy) deliver recoil that's more like a push, while lighter, faster bullets recoil with a jab. I don't like jabs, and the older I get, the less I like 'em.

The "push," versus the "jab," makes it possible to teach any normal-size 10-year-old to competently and comfortably shoot the .45 ACP M1911 pistol. QED
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."