Author Topic: 9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP  (Read 41 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:53:44 AM »
I normally carry Gold Dot 124-grain JHP ammunition in any 9mm that I carry. However, I have been considering moving to the Hornady 147-grain XTP for defensive carry.

Anyone want to weigh in (no pun intended) on this move?
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

pop pop

Re: 9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:18:22 AM »
I have not ventured into the newer 147 gr market although it supposed to be better now than it was. Currently I have ordered the Cor Bon DPX all copper. I like them.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: 9mm - Gold Dot 124 grain JHP vs. Hornady 147-grain XTP
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:52:07 AM »
Well, I don't have a large investment in defensive ammunition for the 9mm. What I do have is mainly in the 124-grain family. Practice ammunition also falls in the 124-grain family.

In the early days of my introduction to the 9mm I kept hearing (or being told) to stay away from the 147-grain ammunition, as it was too slow, did not penetrate, and did not expand as well as the 124-grain fodder.  I pretty much took that advice at face value, not having experience with the 9mm.

However, it seems that the modern-day version of the 147-grain cartridge is much better and the cartridge is in use by numerous LE agencies.  The velocity, while slower than the 124-grain, is still faster than the .45ACP round and (seemingly) seems to be on par with the 230-grain .45ACP round in regard to penetration.

Most of what I am reading about the 147-grain fodder is mainly old news and would like to find (or hear  something more up-to-date regarding this cartridge.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.