Author Topic: Ruger PC Carbine  (Read 902 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Ruger PC Carbine
« on: December 29, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »
Well, this is an interesting entry from Ruger:

https://ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: Ruger PC Carbine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 10:24:22 AM »
YEAP! Caught my eye also but then again common sense over ruled my desires.
I already own more 22's than I actually shoot these days.
Since my reloader is set up for 45APC I shoot way, way, way more 45's than I used to even shoot 22's. Thus by that deduction I may have to find a new 45 before I wear out the ones I have now.

WOW! That came out well!!!!
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
Well, the downside of the Ruger carbine is that it uses Ruger SR 9mm magazines that, if you already have a SR9 is useful in that you already have magazines for it. If you don't have an SR9, then you should go out and buy one, which is the implication from Ruger that I see.

I do have a SR9, full-size and compact, but I doubt if I am going to invest in a carbine that uses those magazine. But, I am sure that some will and Hickock45 should be posting a video that expounds on the attributes of same in the near future, because you know that people are going to be clamoring for one.

It's like my Beretta 92 that also uses the magazines for the Beretta PC carbine (or vice-versa). You see how that works?

Now there are vendors that make Glock Carbine conversions that use Glock magazines and even some Glock lowers, but why doesn't Glock come to the forefront, as it did with plastic pistols, and manufacture its own line of PCCs? Will Glock be like Microsoft and simply upgrade what already exists, as they did with the GEN 5 and which have not seen favorable reviews?

Will the Ruger PCC simply fall by the wayside as some of their products? Of course, that might be a good thing for the collector; a Ruger Model 44, .44 magnum semi-automatic carbine is worth much more than the original MSRP - when you can find one in good shape.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »
...a Ruger Model 44, .44 magnum semi-automatic carbine is worth much more than the original MSRP - when you can find one in good shape.

...And its disappearance was unfortunate, because it was a well-designed "brush gun" that was excellent for both Eastern-states deer hunting and self defense.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:00:15 AM »
I have since learned that changing out the magazine well allows the Ruger PC carbine to use Glock 19/17 series magazines.

Read a review and watch a video @ http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-PCCarbine.htm.

pop pop

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:59 AM »
I have a Ruger 40 caliber carbine I purchased used. It looks just like the 9 MM pictured in the article about the 9 MM carbine. I got it from  a sheriff deputy who had a massive heart attack years ago, and had to sell the carbine for extra money. The deputy carried a Ruger pistol which took the same ammo and magazine that the carbine took. All deputies were issued this combination in our county at the time I came upon this one. They have since gone to the Glocks. 

I have experienced a lot of fun shooting the carbine. It is very accurate out to 50 yards, as it is not scoped. I have 3, 20 round magazines for it. I would guess the 9 MM will be just as good as my 40 cal, but much cheaper to shoot. 

I have always liked pistol caliber carbines. I even purchased a Henry lever gun in 38 Spl/357 Mag caliber last year. We had it out at Thanksgiving and my family liked the lever gun.  It is a sweet gun. My EDC is a 357 mag revolver, however I am working a newly purchased  M P 2.0 9 C into my daily carry routine. Have already put 100 rounds through it as break in. Going to take it apart and clean and lube and run about 500 more rounds through it to make sure it is dependable for concealed carry. Go to get me some self defense ammo for it. Plan to get Speer gold Dot short brl and Golden Saber + P. Going to stay around 124 grain bullets and not venture into the 147 gr range until I can do some more testing. A lot of good reports, lately, on the newer 147 gr 9MM ammo. 

Any ammo recommendations would be appreciated. By the way I like the 2.0 because it points well and the grip is not too fat for my medium sized hands. Grandson really liked it as well.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:57:04 AM »
I think that the ammunition you mentioned would serve you well. 

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:42:49 AM »
iPlan to get Speer gold Dot short brl and Golden Saber + P. Going to stay around 124 grain bullets and not venture into the 147 gr range until I can do some more testing. A lot of good reports, lately, on the newer 147 gr 9MM ammo.

Gold Dot is a reliable standard that a lot of organizations use. The Golden Saber might have too much of a hollow point cavity to run against heavy clothing, but understand that this is more speculation and hypothesizing than not. Look also at anything with the Barnes bullet on it--what I see with a very quick look is TAC-XPD and VOR-TX, but I know there are other brands that use them.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

pop pop

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »
C W, I really like Cor Bon DPX, but the company has gone through a hostile takeover, and has not bee producing as of late. I understand they will be up and running soon without the Peter Pi and his son.

Charles1951

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:14:32 AM »
I picked up my new Ruger PC Carbine yesterday from my FFL. It was purchased from Kentucky Gun Co. partly on price and partly because they received a shipment from Ruger when other vendors did not have them.

I immediately went to the range with it and after running a swab through the barrel and wiping down some of the oil, I got it roughly sighted in and ran a couple of extra mags of ammo through it. No failures. I find that it points to target quickly. A plus. I was a little surprised that the recoil was roughly the same as an AR-15 in 5.56mm.

When I got home with it, I watched the Ruger video on disassembly and cleaning and went through that process. The only surprise with that is that they used lock-tite on the forward barrel retaining screw so removing that screw was difficult. I'm waiting now for a torque wrench I ordered to finalize the reassembly.
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 06:15:47 AM »
Good for you. For me, I will wait on a .45acp version. I have a Hi-Point in .45acp and it is a fun shooter, accurate, and reliable. It's hard for me to justify having another PCC in that caliber, but I do believe in redundancy and the Ruger, if manufactured in .45acp, would probably use Glock magazines, and that would be a selling point for me.  Plus, the price is fairly reasonable.  Time will tell.  I do expect Ruger to come out with a .40 S&W and .45acp version.