Author Topic: Exercise  (Read 444 times)

pop pop

Exercise
« on: December 19, 2017, 05:34:17 AM »
I got a call from one of my Dr. offices yesterday. I have neglected to go get a colonoscopy this year. Anyways, I decided if I am going to get that thing, I want them to go in the throat (endoscopy) at the same time. I have a stricture and it needs stretching from time to time. I have that set for Jan now.

I am also set for knee surgery (right knee) for Mar 5th and the other to follow when right one heals good enough. My bone Dr. wanted me to strengthen my knee muscles and has given me some exercises to do. Said the recovery would be much faster and easier if I would. I use the stretch band, along with riding a stationary bike (30 min) and tread mill (15 Min) that I have here at home. That is all the walking I can take.

Since my knees have been hurting I have neglected exercise all together. I had gotten to the point it was getting harder to stand from a seated position, plus I know the lack of exercise had not been good for my heart also( double bypass and 5 stints 2 yrs ago). 

Well, I am writing this to say my knee strengthening exercise has bee successful so far. I first noticed that I was feeling much better shortly after starting the "PAINFUL" exercise program. On the day after I am in much better spirits and feel pretty good. I first started doing the program everyday, but it was just too painful. I do it every other day now. I have been doing it for a little over 2 weeks now, and noticed yesterday I was standing much more easily and the pain has subsided somewhat.

I will be 70 in early March, and feel every bit of it. I wanted to tell you guys, that a little simple exercise is profitable if you are advanced in age, and retired like I am. I have always been very active and the knee and heart thing has slowed me, however it is really astonishing how much my simple program has improved my body and spirit.

I recommend that you to "Get-ye-some." Might just help you also.   

pstan13

Re: Exercise
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »
Glad to hear exercising has been working for you. You are only a couple months older than I am and it is hard to keep active sometimes. My primary exercise is walking. What knee strengening exercise are you doing?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

pop pop

Re: Exercise
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:14:12 PM »
I have 2 long and strong elastic type strips that I was given, for physical therapy, previously. I lay on my back and push outward, under pressure, while flexing my knee as far as I can. It is a sort of deep knee bend, but laying down on my back. I find the flexing is good for my knee. With bad knees, I can no longer do deep knee bends in the normal way. I do this, 2 times per day(25 reps), on my off days from the stationary bike (30 min), and tread mill (15 min) which is every other day. I own the bike and tread mill and they are here at my home. 

As I stated earlier, I am unable to do much serious walking, but do manage to get in 15 minutes at 3.2 mph. That is as fast as my knee will allow me to walk without much pain. I am hoping I can get the knee surgery done before the March date so I am working hard.

I have really noticed a big difference in my ability to rise from a sitting position. I will say I am pushing the exercise as far as I can without suffering greatly the next day. I have only been doing this, in earnest, for almost 3 weeks and have already noticed a difference.

Just do what you can, and try and push yourself, a little bit, daily. That is what I am doing but must be careful with it. I started doing this every day, but had to back off as I was in constant pain afterwards. I noticed the day off from the machines gives my muscles time to recharge.  Just do the flexing on off days from the machines.