Author Topic: A Thought or Two Regarding 1911 Full-Length Guide Rods  (Read 79 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
A Thought or Two Regarding 1911 Full-Length Guide Rods
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
I posted a new article @ http://guntoters.com/blog/2017/09/21/1911-flgr-yes-or-no/ that addresses the use of FLGRs in 1911 pistols.

Comments are always welcomed!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: A Thought or Two Regarding 1911 Full-Length Guide Rods
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:12:15 PM »
Hey . . . . Any time I want a guide rod I want it to be full length.
I certainly do not like the idea of half a rod!
Give me a full size rod . . . . . as Boston Blackie used to say.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: A Thought or Two Regarding 1911 Full-Length Guide Rods
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
My personal feeling, based upon real experience, is that the full-length guide rod (FLGR) does not add enough accuracy to make up for the difficulties it causes in the field-stripping process.
The M1911 was designed to field strip, and to detail strip too, without recourse to any—any—tools. Nope, not even one. In the actual field, as differentiated from at the range (no matter how primitive), this can become an important issue.

In my own experience, I have found that a FLGR enhances accuracy mostly because it adds some weight to the front end of the pistol. Up-front weight helps stability, which adds to accuracy.

All that having been said, I must add (in all honesty) that I own one 1911, a shortie, with a FLGR. It needs that FLGR because of the recoil-spring assortment that the rod assembles usefully: Shorties are notorious for needing exotic recoil-spring assemblies to make them work reliably.
But this pistol is a concealed-carry gun, not one I'd have with me in the field. It only gets stripped on our kitchen table, under well-controlled conditions.

Further, I have to note that if the gunsmith delivered to me a pistol that had been tuned for proven competition accuracy, and if that pistol contains a FLGR, then that pistol will retain its FLGR.
I am neither a pistol designer nor an engineer. (Yeah, I can do algebra, including some quadratics, but don't get me started about my frustrations with calculus.) I tend to trust gunsmiths who have shown me that they can do good work.

With the exception of that shortie, I don't want any FLGRs. I worship exclusively at the Shrine to John Moses Browning, and I am faithful to my God.
He didn't use FLGRs, so neither will I. So help me John!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."