Author Topic: Ken Burns  (Read 852 times)

pop pop

Ken Burns
« on: September 21, 2017, 06:49:20 AM »
Anyone watching the Vietnam War series on PBS? My wife and I have and she said it was terrible. Anyone who was there knows it was "much worse" than they are showing.

I was never in combat but just saw the aftermath. Brought home a little present which has made my later life rough, "Agent Orange', in my system. Lots of after effects.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Ken Burns
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »
We haven't watched it.
We are not enamored of Progressive revisionist history.

We were not pleased when we heard a statement by protesters, looking back, who said that they were only against the war, not against the soldiers who had been ordered to fight in it.
I know for a fact that this statement is not true, having seen "peaceful" protesters spitting on returning service personnel, and otherwise insulting them.

I was against the war, and I protested publickly against it, but I would not countenance disrespect for military personnel, so I finally gave up on joining the anti-war protests.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
I believe that there are way more folks that follow that line of thinking than you might guess.
Of course the media does not talk about or cover that sort of thinking.
I really think that a "Professional Military" is losing the general public.
Without the "draft" or something to require the general public to be involved and take part and be responsible there is no "awareness," for lack of a better word.
When the "General Public" was required to take part there was much more "awareness" about what was going on. As someone once said, "Ask not what you your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?"
That feeling is slowly going away and the "We want more!" feeling is dominating.
The idea of "Militia" really stems from a "Citizen Army."
Hell . . . . When you think about it without that "awareness" people do not even think that they have to defend themselves. It is that root feeling that "the government will take care of me" that drives that sort of basic thinking.

Anyway enough of my opinion . . . .
I do get carried away at times.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
If they think the gov will take care of them, then they need to watch this (V W) 5 part documentary.  Comes on at 7 central time here on PBS. It is as about as factual as I can remember. The program tonight will be from my time period in Vietnam(67-68).

Yea, they really took care of my generation.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
To bad they don't teach history in schools any more.
Like all members of the human race, each generations has to make its own mistakes and learn the hard way. Or maybe I should say learn their way . . . . . .

Try these videos and see what you think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hER0Qp6QJNU
Another one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpE1Pa8vvI
Here is the best one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As8XkJNaHbs
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »
Good stuff, Chuck!
Jean and I thank you.

Oh...And, by the way, we agree completely!
While Millennials have indeed been "dealt a bad hand," it is now too late for their parents to learn how to be better at parenting, so it's up to all of us to correct their attitudes.
And that includes putting a few self-identified "anarchists" into the nastiest prison population available to us, as an example to all of them: just "pour éncourager les autres."
Steve,

flyover

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 08:10:19 AM »
It seems that a lot of programming that PBS airs that is deemed educational or historical has a leftist slant to it.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »
It seems that a lot of programming that PBS airs that is deemed educational or historical has a leftist slant to it.

You've just now noticed that?

It's not only leftist, but also revisionist.

While I could probably countenance a leftist slant, assuming some right-slanted programming somewhere else, I refuse to condone revisionism.
History is at its best as a lesson for the future. Revisionism perverts that.
Steve,

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:02:49 AM »
I wasn't there, but I can fathom it was much worse than anyone that wasn't there can imagine, My Dad would never talk about it, I know the Soldiers were treated terribly, spit on, called baby killers, and even worse things, Jane Fonda (to me) should have been banned from this Country for her betrayal to our POW's , I can't believe Obama put her on a 100 greatest women list! Think I'm going to stop talking (Typing), because the mistreatment of our Soldiers angers me
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 09:28:54 AM »
Sutton Vo, a former major in South Vietnam’s army engineering corps, watched the series but has told friends and family not to do so. The film is “pure propaganda,” he said.

Go to: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/29/veterans-angry-disappointed-following-pbs-vietnam-war-documentary/
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.