Author Topic: Opera  (Read 1271 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Opera
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »
What are your thoughts on the Opera Browser?

It seems that developers of Firefox are aligning with funding from George Soros and are going into the news censorship business. That bothers me.  It's time to research better browsers that believe in the right to freedom of speech - even if we don't like what is being said. That's the beauty of Freedom of Choice - at this point, we are still able to (somewhat) exercise choices of our own choosing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 01:52:35 PM by Taurian »
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Opera
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:43:30 PM »
Don't need it, don't want it, don't give a damn for it.

If it's a censorship device, the people who sign-up for it deserve what they get.
And if it is indeed a censorship device, there is no way to divert the attentions of the sheeple from it.
Sheeple want censorship, as long as the censor agrees with their point-of-view.

Aside (about censorship):
     Jean and I just had dinner with two cousins, brothers, one of whom is religious, and the other of whom is a Progressive atheist. The dinner was at their mother's home. The mother is a non-observant Jew.
     The religious brother had previously asked his mother's permission to say a short benediction at table before we began to eat. The mother had said, "Yes, that's OK."
     As the religious brother began his benediction, the Progressive-atheist brother began to complain that his sibling was "forcing his religion on us, whether we wanted it or not."
     I pointed out that Jean and I are atheists, but that standing through the religious brother's benediction didn't bother us at all. We didn't feel "forced" into any form of religion, but rather were merely honoring the religious brother's strong belief.
     The Progressive-atheist brother continued to complain, and, finally, threw a tantrum (at age 40) and stormed off, and even slammed the door on his way out.
     It seemed to Jean and me that the Progressive-atheist brother was presenting a perfect example of modern Progressive thinking: "I will tolerate and support your freedom to think and speak as you prefer, but only if your thought and your speech agree with my own beliefs."
     (And there goes the First Amendment.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »
If Firefox follows through, then it would be a censorship device - as is becoming Facebook and other forms of social media.

From what I understand, the Opera browser does not support censorship and would be an obvious choice for me - if I can garner some more information about it.

Progressives, it seems, are like petulant children who are not getting their way. If they don't like the message, it is far easier to attack the messenger than give in to thought that could sway their opinion, or even move to a point to agree to disagree.

What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
I would need more information about this browser censorship thingee!!!
I know that Google has gone bonkers and is attempting to rule the world but Opera. I don't think so. They are much to small an entity to be taken seriously.
There is so much BULLSHIT on the internet that one really needs to verify anything to actually take it seriously. Anytime I hear anything that I think might actually effect me personally I dig into it. I need 4, 5 or 6 sources before I even begin to think that it might be factual.
And by sources I mean varied and from some remote view point. 

Why you say do I need as many as 6 or more view points . . . . Because so many opinions I find actually come from the same source or sources. Some of them actually attempt to make it look like they researched it them selves.

But then again that is only my opinion . . . .  . and please do not make me one of your reliable sources. I have been known to make things up just to see how far they will go. What is amazing is that by the time it comes back to me I think that perhaps I was actually right.
Now that is scary . . . . . .
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

flyover

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 09:03:59 AM »
It isn't that Yahoo is bad enough...