Author Topic: How Many Shotgun Rounds Needed  (Read 215 times)

pop pop

How Many Shotgun Rounds Needed
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:23 PM »
True Story!

As far as how many rounds a man may need, in my personal experience, we never even needed even one. Just the sound of racking the slide did the trick. Now, I know you pro's here question that, so I will explain.

I may have posted this here before, however it is in keeping with how many rounds one needs. My father, his friend, and I were on a weekend 4th of July trot line, tent camp out weekend along the Liken River, in E-KY, years ago. We had to go for supplies to a local market. Unbenoianced to us, some thugs were watching us and overheard my father telling the guy at the counter, after he inquired, what we were doing in that neck of the woods. I mean we were out there...

Later that night here came this old ratty truck, barley staying between the ditches, on the gravel road we were camping beside. Long story short, the truck had 4 thugs who were drinking and had robbery, and who knows what else, on their mind. When we heard them coming at twilight, my father told his friend to get the shotgun and step out of sight behind some close by bushes, while he grabbed a SW/ 38 spl from his tackle box and stuck it into his boot, while seated beside the campfire. He told me (age 9) to hurry and get into the tent and stay there.

The truck slid to a stop, on the gravel, and all 4 exited and started surrounding us with ax handles and tire irons in their hands. The driver snarled and said, "O K guys we came here to take what you got, that we want." At that point my dad's friend cycled the slide, on his 12 Ga pump, and they all instantly came to a halt, and never made another step. My dad said, very slowly and composed, "You fellows had better leave the way you came, and soon," while removing the pistol from the top of his boot.

Those four guys never said a word, but promptly turned, and got into the truck and left.

I have often wondered what would have happened had Louis, and dad not had the Gage, Model 10, and the mindset to use them? I tell you that sound of the "racking of the slide" was a sobering sound out there in the stillness of the night. I never even knew they had the artillery along with us.

It sure worked in our situation, and we never needed to fire even one round of buckshot the Ga was stocked with. I will say I was scared stiff. None of us got any sleep that night. We got up at daylight and run the trot lines, before breakfast,  and departed later the next morning.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: How Many Shotgun Rounds Needed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
Your story proves to you, and to us, that all those hoplophobe Progressives who tell everybody that there is no need for armed self defense are speaking from the standpoint of absolutely no experience.

It always reminds me of the city folks who tell those of us who live in the country that "nobody needs those gas-guzzling 4WD trucks."
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
The old saying about having a gun and not needing it applies... having someone watching your six helps also.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

flyover

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:06:26 AM »
Cowards will do what they do when the run up against those who are willing to push back.