Author Topic: Not Back Yet - But Close!  (Read 2394 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Not Back Yet - But Close!
« on: June 06, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
I thought that I would provide an update to my recent health issues.

On May 17th, I underwent an arterial-gram to determine what was blocked and where it was blocked in my right leg.  An aneurysm had already been identified and located in my left leg. After the arterial-gram was completed, I was immediately checked into the hospital.

On May 18th I underwent surgery to repair the aneurysm and to have a bypass inserted in my right femoral artery. I now have a 4.5" scar where the incision was made just above the right knee. 

The surgery was a success; I now have full blood flow to my lower right leg and the necessary work to repair the aneurysm on the left side was performed without issue. 

I was released from the hospital two days after surgery and have been recovering at home ever since.  Luckily, I have been able to do some work from home, but it has been hit and miss as things heal.  I was cut on both sides of the groin right where the crease of the legs exist when I sit. Sitting has not been easy, nor has sleep come so hard. 

This past Saturday (June 4th), I drove for the first time since the surgery.  A short trip to run an errand or two and I felt pretty comfortable afterward. I felt confident enough driving that Sunday morning I met my shooting partner at the local Waffle House for breakfast and then drove to the indoor range. I had bought a Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II with a 4" barrel from my shooting partner (he carries the 3" version) and needed to run some rounds through it.  I have to say that I need to do a lot of work with the laser to get used to it.

Anyway, the shooting session went well; it was better than I expected, anyway.  Once I got back home, I pretty much collapsed from the exertion. The mind was strong, but the body wasn't keeping up with the mind.

For a while, I'll be carrying my EDC in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig. I cannot have any pressure on my hips right now due to everything healing. As much as I like the Kimber, the Ruger SR1911 Lightweight "Commander" is the choice of carry until I can get more proficient using a laser.

In summary, I am alive and healing.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: Not Back Yet - But Close!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »
Awesome Dude . . . . Sounds positive!!!!
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 11:58:18 AM »
It has been interesting, to say the least.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 01:56:30 PM »
Yeah, but the whole point is that you're still here.
Not only that, but now you'll soon be in better condition than you previously were.

Keep going!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

LEJoe

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 02:44:16 PM »
So glad to hear that you are doing better. Good thing you can play your flute standing up brother!

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 02:07:29 PM »
Glad to hear your healing up and getting back out to the range.
Time will tell.

flyover

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
I hope that by know you are doing and feeling much better.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 11:41:55 AM »
According to the Surgeon, I have healed enough to keep his ego intact.  I had a sonogram on 7/07/2017 (this past Friday) and I passed with flying colors. Circulation to my lower right leg is restored and the aneurysm on my left side has been taken care of.

I am finally getting back to wearing trousers, which has pleased me and kept me from getting arrested when out among the English.

I am also back carrying IWB. Suspenders still remain the support for my trousers, which is a good thing.  My range now has a sign on the counter that something to the affect of; "If the staff can see the crack of your ass, so will the door! If your pants are below your waist, you won't be shooting. Beer belly's are acceptable.

My work is keeping me busy; there has not been a lot of time to expend on the forum.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 12:54:33 PM »
...I had a sonogram on 7/07/2017 (this past Friday)...

Don't leave us in suspense: Is it a boy or a girl?  ;D

Keep at it, Daryl!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

LEJoe

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
...I had a sonogram on 7/07/2017 (this past Friday)...

Don't leave us in suspense: Is it a boy or a girl?  ;D

Keep at it, Daryl!

Classic!