Author Topic: Armor  (Read 4522 times)

Coastie

Armor
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »
Since we started replying in kind just the other day, thought
I'd share this, JIC you have to make a dash for it....

Defender Handgun
"No longer are you scrambling to find all the essentials to
defend yourself and your family in the middle of the night. In
under 5 seconds you have your firearm, spare magazines,
flashlight, cell phone, etc. AND front ballistic protection from
handgun threats! This product provides level IIIA soft armor
protection in the front panel with pouches and pockets designed
for your specific firearm. Five different models are available to
suit your personal needs. A second soft armor panel for the rear
panel is available as an accessory for additional protection.
The Defender also functions as a plate carrier designed to hold
rifle protection plates in both the front and rear if desired by the
end user. The Defender provides exceptional utility in an all day
comfortable package at an incredibly economic price. Defenders
are made in the USA!"  {Certified to stand up to .44 Magnum...}

https://www.uspalm.com/products/armor/armor/us-palm-defender-handgun.html

MilProGuy

Re: Armor
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:48:03 PM »
Ah...looks like a SHTF "must have"!
Proud Veteran of the U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Coastie

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:51:32 AM »
For any situation that makes you want to deploy your handgun
looks to me.  Where else can you grab one item and get your
pistol, flashlight, spare mags and (oh yeah) armor?  This should
be some- thing each of us have in our safe...

SARGeek

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
The armor is a huge plus and IIIA should handle anything that you average intruder is likely to bring. But another great idea here is having everything ready to slide on your person at a moment's notice. I've seen shoulder bags and neck bags setup for this kind of thing but this is a really good idea.

I've read several reviews that mentioned that this is limited by not being a plate carrier but it sure a lot better than your Haynes/Fruit of the Loom T-shirt!
SARGeek

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
Looks like something I'd like to have around.
I still have an old "flack" vest, and have figured that it too was better than nothing (which it is).
Lately though I've wondered if my old timer thinking needs to be revised along with the ever changing weapons, ballistics, and other conditions that cause some things to become obsolete.
I'd still rather have my "flack" vest on than nothing at all, but then again...well... oh, my insides are hurting just thinking about the modern possibilities.

Ciao.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Coastie

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:11:00 PM »
I remember those old flack vests....a good 50 pound item...  ;)

mustang125

Armor
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
I still have mine as they were fazing them out. I really wanted the newer model. Kevlar makes a lot difference.

Brademan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:32:08 PM »
This is not a bad item.  I have an older Second Chance vest, which I mostly wear to the range.  It's fairly bulky and I've thought about replacing it, even though it is still in fine shape.  It doesn't have any of the mole attachments or pockets or velcro that this one shows, and that makes a lot of sense to me.  Maybe I'll be looking at this for a birthday wishlist item.

Only about a month away......hear that, my wonderful, generous wife?  (hint, hint) 

[Now I just have to leave the computer logged onto the thread so she can 'find' it!]
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

Coastie

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 05:12:59 AM »
Being subtle works at times  ;)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 06:02:51 AM »
Lately though I've wondered if my old timer thinking needs to be revised along with the ever changing weapons, ballistics, and other conditions that cause some things to become obsolete.

Yes, it needs to be revised. If it's the kind I'm thinking of, it was never designed to stop direct hits from even handgun rounds, just fragments from artillery or bursting charges of one kind or another. You might get lucky, but I would not recommend counting on luck if I had the option to get something more recent.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 12:42:23 PM »
Yes, I'm sure it's the kind you're thinking of.  Perhaps it's one of the later editions before discontinuation, as it looks slightly more modern than the 50lb models.  It MAY stop a low-base 12ga shotgun with say, 7 or 6 shot, but I doubt it would stop anything more powerful.
It may stop a knife attack, but if the attacker was strong and dedicated with a combat type knife, the point may penetrate all the way through, like the one in THIS VIDEO.
I'm hoping for a really vigorous summer this year in the ICE business.  That way I'll have enough dough to get a few of the modern items!
The way the "winter" has been, summer could be a time of great prosperity for ICE sales!

Ciao!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

1911 guy

• Mischief? Mayhem? My work here is done.
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
The problem I see is they are dedicated to one platform.  Why not make one with 1 rifle and 1 or 2 pistol mag pouches, plus a holster? 

Whatever weapon you keep for HD already has a mag locked, so you need spares.  One rifle and two pistol should cover it. 

They have an AR-15 model (my first choice for HD) but it has four or five mag pouches.  If I need that many mags, I need more than one man and one rifle. 
I wish I believed in reincarnation.  Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:40:30 AM »
I'm sure there are other companies that make plate carriers or armor that would either have what you're looking for or be set up with Molle attachments for customization, 1911 guy. I've also seen plate carriers and armor up for sale on forum site or two on occasion.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

furface

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:21:09 AM »
The armor is a huge plus and IIIA should handle anything that you average intruder is likely to bring. But another great idea here is having everything ready to slide on your person at a moment's notice. I've seen shoulder bags and neck bags setup for this kind of thing but this is a really good idea.

I've read several reviews that mentioned that this is limited by not being a plate carrier but it sure a lot better than your Haynes/Fruit of the Loom T-shirt!

According to the product description, in addition to the 'soft armor' it is also a plate carrier.

I also have a 2nd chance vest (with a rifle plate). And I believe it would be effective. But it is bulky.... I may have to consider on o' these...
That which does not kill me.... Has made a huge tactical error.

Coastie

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 11:04:46 AM »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:32:43 PM by Coastie »

north40dry

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:45:57 AM »
I do believe that I have read that protective vests are illeagle in some states, not sure if that would apply if used in the protection of ones self and loved ones in their residence or out on the street.  I think they would be against the law in New York as is most  everything.
Research of state law before purchase might be called for.
David Bour-Beau
GYSGT USMC (ret.)
1953-1973
Southeast Asia War Games
1965-1970

Coastie

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
Can you determine which states?  Maybe this is only for cons?  IDK...

(Give you something to do.... ;)   )

north40dry

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 01:21:26 PM »
Sorry, I made a mistake. I forgot the most important question when I was researching this. It is illegal if wearing one during the commission of a crime.

David Bour-Beau
GYSGT USMC (ret.)
1953-1973
Southeast Asia War Games
1965-1970

oldranger53

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 03:48:00 PM »
Sorry, I made a mistake. I forgot the most important question when I was researching this. It is illegal if wearing one during the commission of a crime.

North40Dry (forgive me if I got it wrong),
Uh, IF I were to wear body armor of any type during the commission of a "crime," my crime would be VIGILANTISM rather than say, predatorism, or just plain greed and lust.

My "crime" would be going after those who pray on weaker ones.  In my mind, that is not a "crime", so well - if you see me with my body armor on, please get on one side or the other.   8)

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »
I like the vest, for me?, It would cost around $370.00, because I would need th XL, but seem like it would be worth the money, Will have to check Nevada law on this first, would hate to be jailed for defending myself or a loved one due to a DUMB law
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

RSMorgan

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
Clever idea, but I'm more worried about a 9mm than a .44Mag. Could loose a lot of weight and cost by dropping down the protection level a bit and using the somewhat bulkier Kevlar / Nylon "sandwich" armor of earlier generation vests. Could even get cheaper by using a "first layer" of overlapping tempered steel plates. I think they would have a "world beater" product if they could get the price down below the psychologically important $100.

Aside from the armor, I have more-or-less the same "everything together" set-up with an old shoulder rig "recycled" for home defense: handgun, spare ammo, flashlight and knife. I bought a cheap nylon belt to keep on it so I can throw it on over a bathrobe or skin and just click the belt closed. Loosened the rig up a bit to make it easier to put on. Not ideal for a quick draw, but certainly more convenient than finding everything in the night.

RSM
The truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

GTG

'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"

mustang125

Armor
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 10:18:24 AM »
45acp is easier to stop with body armor.