Author Topic: Returning to the Workplace!  (Read 302 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Returning to the Workplace!
« on: April 13, 2017, 07:39:14 AM »
I have been officially retired for two years. After forty-four years of providing technical documentation and developing technical training programs, I felt that it was time to give it, and me, a rest.

During my retirement; however, I was able to keep what writing skills (that I had) somehow exercised enough to bring news, reviews, and viewpoints to you.  I did not realize that it was time to come out of retirement for a while until earlier this week.

Out of the blue, I received a phone call on my cell phone. Normally, I don't answer calls that have a name or number that I don't recognize. Something; however, told me to take this call.  I immediately recognized the voice on the other end upon answering the call.  The caller was a person that I had worked for some three years ago as a contract technical writer.  A Program Manager that I had also worked for was needing my contact information; he had something that I might be interested in.  Contact information was exchanged and shortly thereafter I was contacted by the Program Manager.

It seems that he needed a technical writer that could jump into the game and get the ball rolling in short order.  I won't go into details, but the job essentially was to pick back up on a project that I had been involved with, the documentation was accepted, and updates to the document ( a very large and complicated  operation and maintenance manual that was written to government specifications) were needed due to equipment upgrades. There was a twist, however. I would be working under him but actually for a sub-contractor that is in another city. I was highly recommended because of my work on the documentation for the original contract - and my familiarization with it.  I would be, essentially, picking up where I had left off.

Shortly thereafter, I was speaking with the Program Manager with the sub-contractor.  In a very short time, I was made an offer that I could not refuse.  I'll be returning to my first love, writing technically, the beginning of next week.

The prospect of retiring was not something that I looked forward to.  Returning to the workplace is just as scary.  Jumping back into a corporate environment is not for the weak of heart.  The demands that I placed upon myself after retiring were just that - demands that I had placed on myself. I no longer had to concern myself with time and project management, or the other twenty-one skills that comprise the complete "Technical Writer"  or "Training Program Developer."  But, to tell the truth, I missed the challenges that are associated with doing what I did.

As some of you know, I used to be a LEO in a previous life.  However, in being such, I was also a trainer and developed my own training programs.  While I do miss the LEO days, I find it much easier these days to deal with bad grammar than bad guys.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Returning to the Workplace!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »
Congratulations!
Have fun. "Doing something that you enjoy is not work." You're going to be paid for enjoying yourself.

In other news, I have just finished retiring...finally.
While you were accepting new employment, I've been resigning from my last volunteer job.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
HECK! . . . . I have yet to actually retire.
I have found that my list seems to grow faster than I can keep up.
Retirement is actually just a state of mind . . . . .
Just because I get to choose what I do everyday is what retirement actually means.
Of course my wife does throw something in every once in a while.
These of course are not jobs . . . . . They are called "Honey Dooooees!"
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

LEJoe

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 04:12:58 AM »
Congratulations Taurian!  Hope you will be able to shape this assignment into something you can live with without a lot of interference from the top. That's pretty cool that they came after you like that. You going to work from home or is there a suit and tie in your future?

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 04:21:49 AM »
At first, I was under the impression that this was a contract job.  I was mistaken, however. This is full-time employment - benefits and all.  There are advantages and disadvantages to contract and full-time employment.

Suit and tie the first day and business casual afterwards. The possibility of working from home, at times, is there. But, being that I like to be close to what I am writing about, I will be on site more often than not.

Not all is sunny and bright, however.  I'll explain later.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

flyover

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:47 AM »
At first, I was under the impression that this was a contract job.  I was mistaken, however. This is full-time employment - benefits and all.  There are advantages and disadvantages to contract and full-time employment.

Suit and tie the first day and business casual afterwards. The possibility of working from home, at times, is there. But, being that I like to be close to what I am writing about, I will be on site more often than not.

Not all is sunny and bright, however.  I'll explain later.

I was going to say congratulations on the new job but after reading that last part I will say best of luck on your new endeavor.

NorCalChuck

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
As flyover stated so well, "best of luck on your new endeavor!"
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
I mentioned in an earlier post about coming out of retirement and that all things are not bright and rosy,

The work is going well. Essentially, I am picking up where I left off back in 2014. I work from home and go into the office as needed.  But, onto the not so bright and rosy. Before that; however, allow me to lay a back story on you.

I underwent femoral bypass surgery in 2001; a tube was connected from my right femoral artery to my left femoral artery to supply blood to my left leg.  I was doing fine over the years, at least until recently when I started to experience pain in my right leg and my left foot started swelling. At first I thought that I simply over-exerted myself while mowing the lawn and that my right calf was strained in some fashion. After a visit to the vascular surgeon who did the original surgery, I was set up for testing that would reveal more than I wanted, but was expecting due to the lack of attention as to what my body was telling me.

I have developed an aneurysm where the bi-femoral tube attaches to my left femoral artery.  The circulation in my right leg begins somewhere around mid-thigh, which is causing the problem in the right leg.  If the aneurysm lets go, I simply bleed out internally, which would ruin my day. I don't mind telling you that, right now, I am feeling pretty vulnerable.

I am going into the hospital for an arterial-gram on the 17th of this month, which is a prelude to surgery on Thursday, the 18th, to repair the damage to the left bi-femoral junction and whatever needs to be done to the right side to ensure a better supply of blood to that lower extremity. Hopefully, I will be out of the hospital and back home on the upcoming Sunday. Unfortunately, I miss a range day but I guess that some things just have to be.

Since I work from home, I will be working as much as possible between pain and discomfort.  Right now, this job is paying medical bills since I now have Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage - up to a point.

Before, I go for the surgery, I have to move my work-based equipment from the "man cave" to a location on the first floor. My wifey purchased a used recliner for me that I will be using, and I still have the walker that I used after the first surgery for when I need to get around.  It is going to be an interesting several weeks during recovery.

Of course, there is always the slim chance of not coming out of surgery. Since I won't be mentally present at the time of my demise, I can't concern myself with that. At least I can say that I made it to sixty-eight.

Anyway, I just thought that I would bring you up to date.

I'll let you know how everything turns out when I can.

flyover

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
Prayers for you and the Mrs.

NorCalChuck

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 10:39:51 AM »
Hang in there guy . . . . . .
Just part and parcel of body repairs as needed and age takes its toll.
As long as the mechanic does his/her job and you do yours the repairs might take a bit longer than they used too but you will be fine and come out a bit slower than you went in.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 01:30:21 PM »
We wish you an easy surgery, and an even easier recovery with no complications.

Please do not bleed-out, because the sight of so much blood will make me faint!
Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."