Author Topic: Now here is a real conversation starter.  (Read 150 times)

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Now here is a real conversation starter.
« on: April 11, 2017, 04:28:13 PM »
Being a Single Action Revolver fan myself I was intrigued by this article.
What-cha Think Gang???
What we have here is the "Good, Bad, and the Ugly" . . . . .

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/4/5/sheriffs-tips-is-the-single-action-revolver-a-valid-defense-gun/
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Now here is a real conversation starter.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 05:53:10 AM »
I enjoyed reading the article.

I had written an article (The Single-Action Revolver for Self-Defense: http://guntoters.com/blog/2013/04/13/the-single-action-revolver-for-self-defense/) a ways back about this very thing.

Since the article was written, I have experimented with the off-hand thumb cocking. While I am not fast with it (the left thumb being older than the right thumb), the technique is very useful.  It does; however, seem to work better on a Bisley revolver because of the low hammer and wide hammer spur. Also, having both hands on the single-action revolver does help prevent the butt from rolling in the hands.

Modern single-action revolvers, such as the Ruger SA revolvers, can be safely carried with six rounds chambered.  Out of habit, I normally load five - even at the range.  I shoot my Uberti SA revolvers more than my Ruger SA revolvers and I have just carried my habit forward.

Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I prefer my SA revolver to be chambered in .45LC, but a .357 magnum 125-grain JHP projectile fired from a 5.5-inch barrelled SA revolver is just as enjoyable.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.