Author Topic: Solid Copper Bullets  (Read 895 times)

pop pop

Solid Copper Bullets
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:26:03 AM »
Was reading an article in Handguns Magazine that was discussing making copper bullets. I did not realize they were machined.

"Gorilla Silverback Ammunition line is loaded with solid-copper hollow points, manufactured on Swiss-style lathes. Wait, what-"Swiss" lathes? Yes. Monolithic-material bullets, what we confusingly call solid-copper hollow points, have to be produced on lathes.

Copper is too strong a material to be hydraulically shaped, at least when it comes to bullets. So they have to be turned in a lathe: A bar of copper is clamped in the chuck, and the end of it gets cut by a tool, guided by computer controlled things. The finished bullet falls off, the bar is extended, and the sequence repeated.

The problem is the pressure of the tool can flex the bar out of alignment. That is where the Swiss style lathe comes into play. This type of machine clamps the material at both ends so it can't flex."

If this is so, I never knew how these bullets were made. It is no wonder this ammo is so expensive. I never knew this much work went into making the copper bullets. I keep my EDC stocked with DPX.

Do you all think the Copper bullets are worth the added expense? Mind you I know it is not the object, but the person that is the most important unit in the picture. However, the person wants to have the best product possible to do a task he might be forced to deal with.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Solid Copper Bullets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »
Well, I, for one, am not sure that super-duper, super-expensive, super bullets are at all necessary.
I am of the opinion that accurate hit placement is more important than bullet type.

"Accurate shooting trumps ballistics, every time."

So I use jacketed HP bullets, particularly loads with the heaviest bullets I can find.
I buy cartridges loaded by major manufacturers, topped with tested and proven bullets, of course.
But I rely upon my shooting, not the bullets.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 03:52:19 PM »
Do you think that the bad guys, when shot by the "Lone Ranger," really cared if they were silver bullets?

Did you know why police officers were called "Coppers?" The term "coppers" can be traced back to the early 19th century in New York City city when the first police force, consisting of an 8 men unarmed patrol unit, wore on their shirt an 8 point copper badge to distinguish themselves as officers of the law. as a result the general public started calling them coppers. Would "solid copper" then mean an honest cop?

We have certainly come a long way from making musket balls by hand.

I am going with Steve on this one; a Swiss Lathe may have to many holes. And, can Swiss cheeses holes be sold like doughnut holes? I may knead to step lightly with this one.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Do you think that the bad guys, when shot by the "Lone Ranger," really cared if they were silver bullets?...

...Well, I would have!
I would've chortled, all the way from the hospital to the bank.

And had I gone to all that trouble, just to get shot by him, well, those bullets had better have been real silver!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 09:06:11 PM »
Well I'll say this about that...

I bought a box of them thar DPX rounds for the PX4 last year simply because they looked cool.

They are rather light for my tastes but if I run out of "real" bullets (180gr XTP), I'll load them up and use them.  Otherwise they'll just take up space in the survival gear.

-sent from phone...typos possible-

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 03:36:20 AM »
I am impressed by the accuracy of the Sig Sauer V-Crown 230-grain JHP in my EDC (Rock Island 1911 FS Tactical) that I now carry them.  Two spare magazines; however, are stocked with 230- grain Gold Dot HP.  The GDHP is less accurate, but is well known for its effectiveness.  The only thing that I can hope for is that if I do my job, they will do theirs.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.