Author Topic: Scam Alert  (Read 442 times)

flyover

Scam Alert
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:16 AM »
Just giving a heads up on a scam that is going around.

I received a call form some one claiming he works for PCH - Publishers Clearing House. I won $950K plus a new 2016 Denali pick up, the catch is you need to pay 1%  of the taxes on it $225.00.

He didn't get anything but I have notified the bank and credit card company. Also making a report to the State AG's office, for what little good it will do.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Scam Alert
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 08:39:21 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!

For all the effort these scammers put into getting money, I'm thinking a "job" would be easier.

-sent from phone...typos possible-

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
Ayup! It is definitely a scam, and one that has been around, in one form or another, for a long time.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:29:43 AM »
Funny, I got a call yesterday saying I won a million dollars,
I said cool! Just mail the check
Said I would need to pay a transfer fee
Ok, just take it from the million I won and send the balance!
Said it was against the law
I said, if it's belong to me? I can give permission to do what's needed, you have that permission, just take the fee and mail the balance, they just hung up
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 04:36:26 AM »
Funny, I got a call yesterday saying I won a million dollars,
I said cool! Just mail the check
Said I would need to pay a transfer fee
Ok, just take it from the million I won and send the balance!
Said it was against the law
I said, if it's belong to me? I can give permission to do what's needed, you have that permission, just take the fee and mail the balance, they just hung up
Nice response. I like it!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »
There is another one going around claiming to be from the IRS . . . .
The pitch may vary but remember this one point.
The IRS does not make phone calls . . . . . They use Snail Mail.
They always have and will continue to do so.

And of course the one that claims to be your grandson, grand daughter or any "member of your family and they are in trouble and need money for bail, or they were robbed and need money for a ticket home, or on and on . . . . . They are very good on this one and have the pitch down pat and will say things that will make you pause and thing that it is real. The wording with this one can actually make you stop and think that it may actually be your grand son or whom ever.

Ask questions or if you are not comfortable stringing them out hang up . . . . .
The shorter the better . . .
A good one is to ask for their phone number so you can call them back.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."