Author Topic: Lever Gun  (Read 2059 times)

pop pop

Lever Gun
« on: January 13, 2017, 06:52:27 AM »
I couldn't resist temptation at Wall Mart this afternoon. I ordered a Henry Big Boy in 38/357. I like to purchase locally, but no one has had the carbine in 4 years of looking. Supposed to be here on Monday. Been wishing and hoping for 5 years now. Thought it time to scratch the itch.

My EDC is a 357 Mag and the Henry should be a good companion in my truck, RV or car. Cost me 736.00 + Tax and 10.00 background check. Will need to get me some good ammo for it.

The one I ordered had the brass receiver and the octagon brl. I don't know the length of the brl. These things are very hard to come by.  I jumped on it after the clerk told me they (W M) had some in stock, and he could order one for me. Looking forward to Monday.

gunflintdoc

Re: Lever Gun
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:27:47 PM »
Got to handle one a few weeks ago. Beautiful workmanship; easy to handle. Shot nice groups with the iron sights. Only feature I found surprizing was how heavy the barrel is. Nevertheless, I suspect you will love that rifle.

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:10:23 AM »
Congratulations pop pop!    ;)

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 05:28:40 AM »
My Sweetie is still smarting. She wants a new hardwood floor in our dining room. Guess the gun is going to end up cost me about $6500.00.  Well, one cant take it (money) with yea!

flyover

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:30:48 AM »
I think you will like the Henry, I don't know about the floor. :)

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
Congratulations pop pop!
One of my fantasies also . . . .
I have been vacillating between a 45-70 or a Mares Leg, 45 colt.
This just may be the year I go ahead and do it . . .  .
With permission and an agreeable, understanding of course.
I do need a new roof on my tool and tractor shed of course.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 02:45:15 PM »
Congratulations, pop pop!

I fired the Henry in .45 LC. The same configuration (brass with octagon barrel). Very smooth action.  That octagon barrel is heavy. The Henry is the only rifle that effectively chambers .38 special and .357 magnum from what I have heard about it.  Most of the "dual cartridge" lever-guns (Rossi and Marlin, for example) have a problem doing that, even the .44 special/.44 magnum versions.

Enjoy!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

pop pop

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 04:59:29 AM »
I also like the feature where one can unload without running all the live unfired ammo through the chamber. The Henry has a loading gate in the tube.

I supposed to get the Henry today(Monday).

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
I also like the feature where one can unload without running all the live unfired ammo through the chamber. The Henry has a loading gate in the tube.

I supposed to get the Henry today(Monday).
That is also its weakness, some say.  If the tube gets damaged, well...  But, I have to say that I have never heard of one getting damaged.

You will provide us with a full review and range report, right?  If you don't have the time or propensity to do so, I would be glad to take it off of your hands for a short time and write a review for you. ;D
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

pop pop

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:05 AM »
My new Lever Gun came in yesterday. Got it home last evening and read the instruction book. I was surprised to read that one should/must use certain 38Spl loads so the rifle will function properly. Henry recommends only 158 Gr ammo in 38 Spl. The manual says other smaller grain bullets may not cycle into the chamber consistently and reliably. I was also surprised how heavy it is. When you latch onto it you know something is in your hand. This one has the 20" hex-brl. It is called a "Big Boy."

"She's A Butte" I have wanted one of these for years. I am glad I laid down the 736. to purchase it. I will get it out soon. It is raining this morning.

Taurian, I am not a good at writing gun reviews, but will plug out something later. Ah, big boy toys, "Don't-che-jus-lovim?"   

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 06:54:15 AM »
A vision popped into my head, pop pop.  It was a vision of an elderly gentleman sitting in his favorite easy chair in a softly lit living room - possibly lit by fragrantly soft kerosene lamps as a soft fire rolls in the stone fireplace.  In the background, his favorite music is playing - softly, of course.  In his lap is his beloved Henry and in his hand his favorite soft polishing material and polishing cloth - a soft polishing cloth.  If Norman Rockwell was alive today, I could see him sitting in the corner and recording the scene where one, when viewing the finished painting, could actually smell the fragrance of wood, metal, and gun oil.

pop pop

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »
Actually Taurian, you just about nailed it completely except with a few new aged flavorings.

Here was the real scene last evening. Old Pop Pop was sitting in his lazy boy, watching the Virginian on the tube, reading the Henry's owners manual, then afterwards, picking up "the beauty" and wiping off the finger prints, while applying a thin lawyer of gun oil on the blue barrel and  the brass receiver while looking at the beautiful walnut stock, and may I say with deep admiration. All the while viewing his new found "Big Boy" with the fake fireplace, glowing red in the foreground, located just under the new 60" Smart TV that his daughters purchased for him for Christmans,  while occasionally viewing Trampass, Steve, and the Virginian, in the episode where the three were babysitting 7 abandoned orphaned kids who were coming down with the measles.

Well my fingers hurt after all that.   

Now I ask you, did you nail it? All that was missing was Norman dabbing paint on the canvas.

Now I ask you, "AIN'T LIFE GRAND!"

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 08:03:34 AM »
A 60" television!  My bad! I forgot that we live in a high-tech society.

A 60" television, hmm!  I wonder what playing Sniper Elite V2 would be like on that television?  ;D