Author Topic: Dad protecting family shoots, kills home invasion suspect, police say  (Read 892 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
You have to be fast and on target, even then you might not make it. Hopefully you loved ones will.
who normally has someone knocking at their door at 11 pm?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/01/03/dad-protecting-family-shoots-kills-home-invasion-suspect-police-say.html
click here for more information http://www.fox29.com/news/226779825-story
Police say the family returned to the city's Frankford neighborhood just before 11:00 pm Monday.
A short time after arriving, there was a knock on the door and the father answered it. That's when two men forced their way in at gunpoint. The homeowner was also armed and a physical altercation ensued.

investigators say there were 11 shots fired between the homeowner, and the suspects. One of the suspects was shot in his head and killed. The second suspect fled the scene.
Shell casings were found both inside the house and on the front porch. Two windows were shot out.
The father, 27, was shot in his face and leg. Hes in serious condition but he is expected to survive.
The homeowner's wife had been taking their four young daughters, between the ages of four years and just five months, upstairs to bed. None of them were hurt.
FOX 29s Steve Keeley reports the mother is talking to homicide detectives and the children are staying with other relatives.
Time will tell.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Dad protecting family shoots, kills home invasion suspect, police say
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:55:01 AM »
Bad situation!

I hope the dad makes it, and isn't charged with anything.

To think "it can't happen here" is faulty reasoning.
The only "CANT" I'm interested in is, "Carry Always, Never Tell" and that means inside the house as well.

-sent from phone...typos possible-

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

pop pop

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »
Don't open the door!

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 05:12:17 AM »
Something I always tell my wife, when I'm not home, don't open the door! We have a security door that has to be opened before you can get to the front door, make sure it's locked at all times
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:13:07 AM »
Don't open the door!
I would tend to agree with that!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 05:15:08 AM »
Something I always tell my wife, when I'm not home, don't open the door! We have a security door that has to be opened before you can get to the front door, make sure it's locked at all times
Security doors are always locked, regardless of who is at home.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »
Security doors are always locked, regardless of who is at home.
with out question
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

RickO

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
Doors are always locked unless in use.  Armed continuously.  A knock at night will get lights and a verbal 'What do you want?' through a locked door.  I do have a large peephole as well.  If there is a request for help, my response is 'Sure, I am calling 911... help will be here shortly.'  Now, if it were a relative or close friend, that is different, and I could identify them prior to opening the door.

pop pop

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:26 AM »
There is a proper way to knock on a door. One does not knock on a door then stand very close and directly in front of it. This type of knock is threatening.

I once had a knock on my door at 1:30 in the morning. Our home was 200 feet back off a very small country road, and 6 miles from the nearest city. We owned a large dairy farm.

I went to the door with a 357 in my hand. We had a light storm door, which was locked, so I looked out and viewed a young lady standing outside. She had came onto my porch and rung the door bell, then backed off the porch and was standing about 25 feet out on the sidewalk. I could see all across the front porch and no one was flanking the front door. I opened the door and kept the storm door locked, but asked her what she wanted. Long story short she had a flat tire, on the way home from work, and wanted to use the phone. This was back before cordless phones and cell phones. I did not recognize the lady, but she told me her name and where she lived and who she was married too. I knew her husband and her daughter was one of my daughter's friend. She showed me her drivers license through the storm door.

Once I realized who she was, I allowed her inside to use the phone. I would have changed her tire, but I had previously stepped on a nail, and just had foot surgery to clean out the infection, and was immobile. This happened 20 years ago. Times are really different now. I am very cautious who enters our home now.

Like Taurian, I also have very strong "Larson Security Storm Doors" (google) installed now and they have a substantial 3 point locking system with double pain glass, with the 3 M plastic material between the glass. Company guarantees that the glass is shatter proof and the frames are extra heavy and hard to get off, if installed properly.  One can purchase them at Lowes.  They are not cheap (350.00 + 100. to install), but well worth the price for the added protection one gets after installing them. My son-in-law, and I installed our doors.   

I just don't open doors to strangers, and talk to visitors that I don't know, through the locked security door. I find most people that comes upon our porch, they backs off after ringing the door bell. My front porch is 18' x 18' now, and one who steps away from the door, is not knocking in a threatening manner. 

Like Rick, I will make a call for them.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 11:03:14 PM »
Last year I installed new "storm" (security) doors front and back.
Since reading this thread, I've been making sure they remain locked all the time, even though "strangers" rarely ever pass through here.
Well, there's more every year, hence the heightened security.

-sent from phone...typos possible-

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.