Author Topic: BDC Rifle Scopes  (Read 1374 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
BDC Rifle Scopes
« on: December 11, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
With the Blog site yet inoperable for posting articles,  I decided to try the Adobe .pdf platform for an article regarding BDC rifle scopes.

You will need to download the article to your PC and then use Adobe Reader to view it.

All links in the article are active.

Comments on the article are, of course, welcome.

Once the blog site is fully operational, I'll post the article there. I also may post a downloadable update to correct errors in the original article.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:13:40 AM by Taurian »
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: BDC Rifle Scopes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 05:09:50 PM »
Actually that is certainly an effective method.
Clicking on the link automatically opens the document and all one has to do is do a "Save As" and put it where you would want to keep that sort of information.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 06:22:48 PM »
I've got it on my "desktop," but I haven't yet had time to read it.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 12:20:05 AM »
OK. I read it.
Now I'm more confused than ever.
I'm so confused that I've just thrown my rifle away.

But seriously, folks...
Back in the day when I was shooting in pistol and rifle "practical" competition ("the day" being 1978 through 2000) I learned to do things just a little differently.

I grew up using only "iron" aperture sights on the few modern rifles I used. When I began competing, I continued to use aperture sights on my one rifle because I was both quick and accurate with them. Even my front sight was an aperture, not a post.
Friendly competitors weaned me off of my dependence upon those aperture rifle sights. Under their tutelage, I outfitted my rifle with a fixed-power, low-magnification, down-bore ("scout") scope featuring a duplex reticle. I became even quicker and more accurate.
(I kept those aperture sights on my rifle, though, because, to this day, I firmly believe in the fragility of even the best scopes.)

In Taurian's article, on his page 17, is an illustration detailing many different scope reticles. My particular scope's reticle would be classified somewhere between "Heavy Duplex" and "Wide Duplex."
In the instruction booklet which came with my scope was an illustration showing the distances in minutes-of-angle (or fractions thereof) of and between the various visual features of the scope's reticle.

Using that information, and some judicious range time (with a notebook and pencil), I was able to assign zero-distances to the various features. It helped that I loaded only one bullet-powder-primer formula for all of my rifle shooting.
• The bottom of the thick upper post was the 200-yard zero.
• Halfway between there and the thin crosshair meeting was 300 yards.
• The crosshair center was 400 yards.
• Halfway between the crosshair center and the top of the lower thick post, but half of the post's thickness to the right, was the 500-yard zero.
• And the tip of the lower thick post, but the full thickness to the right, was the 600-yard zero.
• The 1,000-yard point was indeed halfway down the lower thick post.

All of these feature-related zero points were noted onto a waterproof card, which I taped to my rifle's buttstock opposite to its cheek-piece.
Once the distance to a target had been figured out, I just canted the rifle a little to make it easy to see the card, straightened it up, aimed according to my notes, and took the shot.
The system worked quite well. I never had to adjust anything, or to remember anything. The scope's settings remained always the same. When in doubt, I merely consulted the card.
(The other side of the card holds the iron-sight settings, too.)
Steve,

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 05:45:41 AM »
You left out the Horus scope on page 17.  :P

Seriously...I am definitely not going to make much of a long-range shooter. I start moving pages rapidly when confronted with the many charts such as is on your article. (The text is clear enough on the subject for one that's going as far as I would go with it, though.)

I'll just set a 36/300 on 5.56/.223 and ask if there's a similar zero for .308 and be done with it, please.

I once watched a long-range shooting match. Everybody had their high-dollar rifles and high-dollar scopes and portable weather stations and ballistic calculators (my favorite was the app on the tablet one guy had). Must have taken them 15-20 minutes at a time to work out a shot. I'm not up for that.

I suggested to my friend that was one of the guys running the competition (his scope mount and maybe his scope adjustment went south that day, I believe--I know his mount broke) that he introduce a round that gave a shooter 45 seconds to go to position and make the shot. I need to follow up on that. I predict that it would cause quite a bit of confusion and consternation among those attending to have to do that.  ;D
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 08:15:44 AM »
Readers will read the article from different perspectives. The precision long-range shooter will read the article different than the "combat accurate" shooter, a hunter, or a simple "plinking" shooter that wants to hit a tin-can at 200 yards.  Some readers would rather read a more simplistic approach while other readers would rather have more detail.

The article was actually based on how much I did not understand the "system" being used. It was more of a study in limitations more than anything.

I watched a video last night of a gentleman who had purchases a $350 Ruger American chambered in 6.5 Creedmore and topped it off with a 12x SWFA SS optic. He was taking shots at 1100 yards. He hit the target 4 out of fourteen shots.  After writing the article, and watching the video, I wondered that if he truly understood the "system" that he was using, would he have improved the ratio of hits vs. misses at that distance?  I really don't know.

Anyway, I learned a lot doing the research for the article. I can only hope that the reader can take away something useful. Because of my research, I will be a little bit more knowledgeable about the magnified optics that I decide to use.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:17:18 AM by Taurian »

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
BDC Rifle Scopes
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 09:11:43 AM »
I've always admired shots at distance, that would light matches, so to speak.

I remember a episode of Beverly Hillbillies where Jed and Jethro were lighting matches against the far wall of their estate.
They got bored with regular shots and began to add difficulty by ricocheting bullets off the wall to light them.

That was fun.

I truly hope my life never depends on me making a head shot at 200 yards!  I MIGHT be able to do it, maybe, but I'd feel much more confident at 100 yards... even more so at 50yds.

But again, I admire those who can and DO!

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 10:23:33 AM »
I have installed an updated copy of the article in the OP. This version corrects some typos and an image format.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:10 PM »
WHEW! . . . . I am exhausted . . . . Anyone for pistol shooting a 20 feet?
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
Nag, nag, nag!!

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2016, 01:02:57 PM »
...I suggested...that he introduce a round that gave a shooter 45 seconds to go to position and make the shot...[emphasis added]

Forty-five seconds? That's way too much time.
How 'bout man-vs.-man, against 12" steel plates, starting standing at port arms (loaded, safety on), at 600 yards? First hit wins.
How 'bout placing a shot anywhere in the black of a NRA 1,000-yard target, starting standing at port arms (loaded, safety on), quickest time wins?

Error Correction: It was 18" plates, not 12" ones.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 12:49:11 AM by M1911A1 »
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »
UPDATE!

The BDC article has been posted at the bog site: BDC Rifle Scopes: by "Taurian" @ http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/12/14/bdc-rifle-scopes/

There are still a few bugs to work out, but for the most part the blog site is operational (once again)

My thanks to Robert for getting us this far!

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:48 AM »
...I suggested...that he introduce a round that gave a shooter 45 seconds to go to position and make the shot...[emphasis added]

Forty-five seconds? That's way too much time.
How 'bout man-vs.-man, against 12" steel plates, starting standing at port arms (loaded, safety on), at 600 yards? First hit wins.
How 'bout placing a shot anywhere in the black of a NRA 1,000-yard target, starting standing at port arms (loaded, safety on), quickest time wins?

Error Correction: It was 18" plates, not 12" ones.

I like it personally, Steve, but I'm not sure they wouldn't have to stock some wet-wipes for that in case the competitor's heads exploded when they were presented with the conditions.

Yeah, I'm sure some of them could handle that sort of thing. I'm joking for the most part. It's just...dang, you need that much stuff to take a shot? Really?
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 01:32:33 PM »
I once made it all the way to third place on the J-ladder, in the 600-yard shoot-off. Otherwise, I was middle-of-the-pack of about 20 participants.
But I was using a bolt-action rifle (scout-modified Springfield) against semi-autos, so if I had to take a second or third shot, it was slow.

At 1,000 yards, I could reliably place first shots in the black, in a squad-front-width target, and onto a 36" gong (1,050 yards), but I wasn't the quickest.
Steve,