Author Topic: Range Fire!  (Read 553 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Range Fire!
« on: December 11, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
Last weekend, someone decided to shoot tracer ammunition at the indoor gun club and range that is the sister to the range that I frequent.

This weekend we had quite a few shooters at my range from that range. The reason is the tracer rounds started a fire of the rubber material that is used for the range backstop. No one was hurt in the fire, but the roof above the above the fire was destroyed.

The way that I look at it, if you can't see where your rounds are impacting at 25 yards you have a problem.  I will either run the target back to where I can see the impacts, or I have a set of cheap binoculars in my range bag that I can use.

Negligence and the lack of common sense by someone who thought it would be cool to fire tracer ammunition has ruined a lot of shooting opportunities for other people until the range can be restored.

The fate of the shooter is unknown.

We do have another local range that controls the ammunition being shot inside the range.  If you shoot at their range, you buy their (range) ammunition, which helps to mitigate a shooter trying to bring in a "Dragon's Breath" 12-gauge round, steel-core ammunition, and tracer rounds - not that some will try to anyway.

I hope that does not happen at my range; I hate paying a price for somebody's stupidity.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 04:12:08 PM by Taurian »
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Range Fire!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 04:05:03 PM »
Eternal vigilance is the price of both liberty and shooting ranges.

We are all equally responsible for keeping the imbeciles from ruining our opportunities.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 04:56:18 PM »
Why would any one be target shooting at an indoor range with tracers.
Just wondering . . . .  I just do not see what he wanted to accomplish?
Is there something that I am missing??
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
Why would any one be target shooting at an indoor range with tracers.
Just wondering . . . .  I just do not see what he wanted to accomplish?
Is there something that I am missing??
It does kind of boggle the mind, doesn't it?
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.