Author Topic: Belly Bands for the Ladies?  (Read 1224 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Belly Bands for the Ladies?
« on: November 08, 2016, 07:07:28 AM »
This article provides the pros and cons of belly bands:

How Even PETITE Women Can Conceal Carry Big Guns Without Belts, Tactical Clothes, Or Looking Like Men!

There is also the collaboration between Rob Pincus and Cross Breed Holsters:

https://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/video/modular-belly-band-holsters-001358/
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Belly Bands for the Ladies?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:27:32 PM »
I wasn't able to download the piece by Pincus, so my comments may have already been addressed.
For all I know, Pincus and Cross Breed may have solved all of the world's problems ecumenically (since he's Jewish and they "carry the cross"), but I'll never find out.

I suggest against using a belly-band "holster." I strongly believe that no fabric one-size-fits-all holster could possibly be a truly practical means of carrying anybody's concealed pistol.
Remember that, in real-life terms, "one-size-fits-all" actually means that the one available size fits nothing well, and fits your particular gun very badly indeed.

Belly-band rigs engulf one's gun, and bury it so deeply that it is impossible to achieve a full firing grip upon it before one begins a presentation.
Therefore, it is necessary, at some point, to shift one's grip on the weapon in mid-withdrawal. This will certainly slow your presentation to a crawl at the exact time when every second counts. It will also provide a sterling opportunity for Mr. Murphy to work his evil magic and cause a bobbled draw, or, even worse, to cause one to drop the gun entirely.
Further, all belly-band outfits require the full attention of both hands to release the gun, and some of them seem to almost demand the use of three hands.

Generally speaking, the gun-pouch of almost all belly-band rigs is made of either ordinary fabric or (more often) strong, thick elastic.
While the belly-band's gun pouch could be modified by someone very handy with a needle (for instance, me), the changes needed are neither intuitive nor easy to do.

The exception to all of these bad examples is the Smartcarry, which is a pretty good design (for a belly-band rig).
The Smartcarry comes in (if I remember correctly) three gun-pouch sizes, one of which will come fairly close to properly holding a specific gun.
Best of all, the Smartcarry's gun pouch is very easily modified, even if only by stuffing fabric scraps down into the muzzle end of the pouch.
It isn't perfect, but it's the best of a bad lot.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 04:23:32 AM »
The one thing that I see as a positive to the Pincus/Cross Breed collaboration product is the hybrid holster itself; it affords better protection for the gun and the bearer of.  While it may or may not make the draw faster, it would seem to make holstering easier and safer. I may order one to see if it is all he (Rob Pincus) claims it to be.

I do like the Smart Carry when I am wearing Bibbs, and I have used the Smart Carry as a strong-side IWB holster at times. As with the belly-band, holstering is an issue. I also find that the Smart Carry's band stretched out too quickly for my liking, but that is secondary to the re-holstering issue.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 08:09:31 AM »
I've considered trying the belly band style a few times.
So far, that's one style of "holster" I've not tried.
Maybe someday.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
Later:
I finally was able to see the video.
OK, Pincus's idea is a pretty good one. I particularly like using Velcro to attach one or more holsters, since the user can position the holster in the best place for first establishing a full firing grip.
Also, as Pincus demonstrates, the belly band can be worn high enough at the belt line to permit quick, efficient access to a weapon.

I note, in Pincus's video, that he does not really establish a firm grip on his pistol, before commencing a presentation. Instead, he grips the pistol in a "pinch," between his thumb and his palm, and only wraps his fingers around his pistol's grip after the gun has left the holster.
I guess that this is OK for an expert like Pincus to do, but certainly I would not recommend it to anyone else, who is practicing at a lesser skill level.
(I'm being ironic: I think that even Pincus shouldn't be doing this.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 02:59:55 AM »
The entire system would be around $74.90 + S&H.

Here is some information on the holster:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/Belly-Band-Holster-Only

and the belly band itself:

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/Product/Modular-Belly-Band-Band-Only

flyover

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:26:02 AM »
Interesting, I will have to keep this in mind.