Author Topic: 4 Advantages of Pistol Caliber Carbines  (Read 1099 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: 4 Advantages of Pistol Caliber Carbines
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 02:45:49 PM »
The referenced article makes good points.
The whole issue, I believe, hinges on practice and training: It's much easier for an un-practiced, untrained person to defend home and person with a pistol-caliber carbine, than with any shotgun or pistol.

However, if you keep a defense weapon ready for use in your home, the best way to use it in defense is by first being trained and practiced in its use and manipulation.
Thus, everybody who is likely to use the thing should be prepared to use it effectively, by means of prior experience and practice.
The moment of actual need is one heck of a time to be learning to use the tool.

OK, but there is one other very important point: Old age and its debilities!
Jean and I can probably no longer effectively use our M.12 Winchester for home defense. We are now too old to be able to reliably absorb repeated doses of 12ga recoil.
For that reason, a pistol-caliber carbine might make a whole lot of sense for us.

(The article got me thinking about a Hi-Point .45 ACP carbine, maybe with the bull-pup kit that somebody is about to put on the market. I rebel at the aggregate price of over $300.00 for a Hi-Point anything, but I may have to succumb anyway.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »
Indeed, one and all.
We got ourselves a PCC this year, and I mounted the Lucid red dot atop it.  At last count, I think there are 10 extra magazines for it laying around.  Well, not actually "laying" around, but you know what I mean.
Not once have I regretted getting and outfitting that item!
I opted for the .40SW caliber, since it complements the PX4SC quite well.
Haven't shot either one of them in months!
All this talk is making me want to take them to the range, and soon!  They are a kick in the pants to shoot!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

pop pop

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 04:22:19 AM »
I have a Ruger 40 Cal semiauto carbine that I have had for several years. Our Local Sheriff Dept once paired them with Ruger handguns so the mags would work in both. I got this one from a deputy that had a massive heart attack and had to sell his carbine.
It is a real nice carbine.

I am also in the market for a Henry 38/357 lever gun and will purchase one as soon as I can find one. I carry a 7 shot 38/357 revolver daily. I like pistol caliber rifles and think the idea of having extra ammo on hand that will work in both guns is a good idea. If Hillary gets elected, "possibly" lever guns, and revolvers will eventually be the only repeating guns one will be able to have. That will be a short time before they take all of our guns. Well, law abiding citizen's guns anyways. Crooks are always going to have them.   

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »
The Henry is a fine rifle and I have not heard of any issues with the 38/357 versions of the rifle/carbine, unlike some other manufacturers.

I believe that you are talking about the Ruger Police Carbine that went out of production in 2006? I had an old .44 magnum (Ruger Model 44), but had to sell it during bad times. Its primary drawback was the four-round magazine, but it was, after all, a hunting carbine and tactical use was not even considered back then by most.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:36:04 AM »
Yes, yes...the Ruger Model 44 was a dandy! I too had one for several years.  I traded mine off as part of a vehicle barter situation, ummm 1979 I think the year was.

As I recall, it had a tube type magazine, I think.

A side note: I'd left it with my grandparents, (who lived in Huntsville Alabama in 1977), while I was away in the Army (71-76). 
1977 I flew to Alabama from Sacramento (where I was in college) for Thanksgiving. I brought my carbine back to California via airlines.  I remember walking into the airport terminal in Huntsville the morning of my flight, with that carbine in my arms, walking up to the ticket desk and explaining what I wanted to do.  The girl behind the counter produced a reinforced cardboard box, lined with foam.  She handed it to me and I stowed the gun in the box and then handed it back to her...just like any other checked baggage.  (I also brought some REAL BBQ back to California but that's a story for another thread).
When my plane landed in Sacramento, I had to pick the gun up at a customer service station, but even that was NO MUSS NO FUSS.  A few minutes later I was on my way to the apartments I lived in...way back when.

My how far we have strayed since those days!

Ok...enough of Memory Lane!

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 06:08:08 AM »
Ayup! Those days are long gone!

Memories light the corners of my mind
Misty water-colored memories of the way we were

Scattered pictures of the Rugers we left behind
Rugers we sold to another for the way we were.

Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line
If we had the chance to do it all again, tell me, would we, could we

Rugers may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember we simply choose to forget
So it's the Rugers we will remember
Whenever we remember the way we were.

The way we were.

(My apologies to Barbara Streisand. On second thought, no apology is warranted - she is a liberal)

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »
Cute!

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:00:59 AM »
(The article got me thinking about a Hi-Point .45 ACP carbine, maybe with the bull-pup kit that somebody is about to put on the market. I rebel at the aggregate price of over $300.00 for a Hi-Point anything, but I may have to succumb anyway.)
The HP 4595TS was the first Hi-Point firearm that I ever purchased, being that their pistols are not highly thought of.  Aside from one FTF early on, the carbine has performed flawlessly. I have no issues with the firearm and have made (easy) mods to fit my personal needs.

Hi-Point Customer Service is excellent; how many entities would send you selected spare parts at no charge just for the asking?  How many entities would actually spend time with you on the phone answering questions about their product?  And, there is that lifetime warranty regardless if you are the original owner or not.  I have spoken to a number of gun shops about Hi-Point carbines - and they just don't see any come in for repair; that says something about the product.

The Hi-Point carbines do have some quirks about them, but what firearm doesn't. I consider the money spent on my two as money well spent; there are reliable and pretty darn accurate to boot. I have no doubt that I can rely on them if the need arises.

I will admit that I do give the round-count advantage to some of the other PCCs on the market. There are other PCCs on the market, and even some that convert a Glock to a PCC.  The price of such; however, is commiserate with the features provided.  The Hi-Point carbines keep things simple and the simpler the better, in my opinion.

If you have the chance to read (or re-read) my review of the HP 4595TS, they can be found at Hi-Point 4595TS Carbine – Product Review: http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/06/12/hi-point-4595ts-carbine-product-review/ and Hi-Point 4595TS Carbine – Product Review, Part 2: http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/06/20/hi-point-4595ts-carbine-product-review-part-2/