Author Topic: SKS - Still a Best Kept Secret?  (Read 421 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
SKS - Still a Best Kept Secret?
« on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:55 PM »
I just published an article on the SKS rifle that you might find interesting.

Read all about it @ The SKS – Still a Best Kept Secret!: http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/10/20/the-sks-still-a-best-kept-secret/

I am always open to comments!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: SKS - Still a Best Kept Secret?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
You obviously know the SKS better than I do. I never ran all of those tests with ours.
Nevertheless, ours works exactly as it's supposed to, and reliably, although to get real accuracy out of it would demand extensive modification.
I did add an aperture sight to the existing sight block. I find that it's too far away to make automatically centering my view through it either quick or easy. But it does add a little accuracy potential.

A useful adjunct is the Chinese-issue ammunition pouch, which straps to one's chest, and which carries fully-loaded stripper clips and a few accessories. I've even put a windage-adjustment tool into it.
The whole outfit fits into an innocent-looking, cardboard shipping box, and it sits, ready for use, locked into the trunk of Jean's car.

My one disagreement with your article is your belief that the SKS is a rifle. It isn't. It's a carbine. If I remember my smattering of Russian properly, the "K" in SKS stands for the Russian word for "carbine."
In my private world, a "rifle" has a barrel and sight radius of sufficient length to be accurate at ranges "out past Fort Mudge." The SKS is certainly lacking in that respect.

However, most of them still bear that nice, built-in monopod that you may find under the barrel.
It's also a pretty good screwdriver, but not a good can-opener.
Sure as heck, it's a pretty useless bayonet.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 09:42:48 AM »
Steve,

It seems that the break-point between carbine and rifle is at twenty-inches of barrel length.

The modern usage of the term carbine covers much the same scope as it always had, namely lighter weapons (generally rifles) with barrels up to 20 inches in length. These weapons can be considered carbines, while rifles with barrels longer than 20 inches are generally not considered carbines unless specifically named so. Conversely, many rifles have barrels shorter than 20", yet aren't considered carbines. The AK series rifles has an almost universal barrel length of 16.3", well within carbine territory, yet has always been considered a rifle, perhaps because it was designed as such and not shortened from a long weapons.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbine

With that said, it is true that the SKS is considered a carbine rather than a rifle, and I will make changes to the article to reflect that. If you find any occurrences of the term "rifle" where it seem inappropriate after I update the article, please let me know.

I may also make other changes or add clarifications where needed.

And, thanks for reading the article.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 11:19:24 AM by Taurian »
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 02:21:14 PM »
All I have to say about this topic is that "popular" doesn't always mean "the best".

I am a fan of the SKS.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.