Author Topic: terrorist walking backwards toward the defender to close the gap and attack.  (Read 685 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
The bad guy chose to advance in reverse.  Strange until you realize that is a tactic taught by HAMAS in order to close the distance on hesitant police officers.  In many parts of the world, it is taboo to shoot into the back and this tactic is designed to take advantage of that to close the gap.  But notice how close the two are when both things happen simultaneously.  The bad guy begins to go down and the good guy falls down due to backpedaling. 
Stop for a moment to consider that it is at least 50% slower to close distance by backing up, and ask if the bad guy had been advancing frontally if he may have been able to take the advantage away from the shooter?

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2016/10/gun-versus-knife-minnesota-lessons.html
Time will tell.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Good article and brings about why we need to "move off the X."  With that said, it will be extremely rare that we encounter the conditions that the officer's encountered - moving a subject rearward.  When we had to move a subject rearward, the subject's hands were visible, and we would position ourselves behind an obstacle or move outward to the subject's (perceived) weak side.  It was imperative that we get the subject down as quickly as possible, if only to his knees with legs crossed and hands out to the side and palms facing up.  If there were two (or more) responding officers present, one officer moved to the side and front of the subject while garnering the subject's attention.  The subject never knew when the "support" officer slammed him forward into the the ground until the act was over.  If no other officer was present, it was up to the sole officer to control the subject.  Usually, the threat of being shot was enough for most subjects if they moved for them to comply with the officer's direction. Today; however, it seems quite plausible that subject will not comply and will push the envelope and the officer better be ready to use deadly force.

There are a lot of question regarding what we could (would) do in a similar situation as civilians. 

What also concerns me is the number of shots the subject took before succumbing.  The off-duty officer was probably carrying either a 9mm or .40 S&W pistol, but we don't really know for sure.  I have been incorporating more head shots in my shooting sessions because I think that it is a good thing to do and head shots are a viable option for stopping a threat when all else fails.

Comments?
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
I read this blog early this morning...before we had a communication blackout here today.
Phones and Internet were all down from about 10am to about 4:30pm.  Scary.

I truly have never considered advancing towards a conflict, in reverse.
I can see a possible advantage in doing so, maybe.  I'll have to say "nay" on this tactic...at least not for me!
Also, now that I'm aware of this tactic in "them", I'll be a lot more apt to plug one of em in the butt just for kicks.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
Think we should start a petition to ban these crazy knives, forcing law abiding people like this guy into violently stabbing others
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Think we should start a petition to ban these crazy knives, forcing law abiding people like this guy into violently stabbing others
Roger that!

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.