Author Topic: I have been an advocate...  (Read 639 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
I have been an advocate...
« on: September 11, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: I have been an advocate...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 01:53:30 PM »
I don't like it for myself, because it makes concealment more difficult.
But I carry OWB, and not under an untucked shirt-tail.

Carried IWB, and under a closed shirt, I can see some amount of advantage to the idea.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 07:21:19 AM »
One of the sheriff deputies around here carries his 2 reload magazines directly in front, right beside the buckle on his duty belt.  The magazine cap plates juxtaposed to the edge of the buckle.
One of these days I plan to ask him why he does it that way.

If I had to "hit the dirt" I'd be worried about jamming them into the ground.

Odd.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 09:27:04 AM »
My spares are usually carried just forward of the holster (but not really in an appendix position, and IWB.  With suspenders, spare ammunition and pistol is very hard to detect; The pistols and spare ammunition is tucked right against my T-shirt. My shirt is usually open. A Cold Steel "Cobun" resides in its sheave on my weak side just behind my hip.

The IWB holster has a little bit more forward cant than FBI (15 degrees) and helps to further hide the butt end of the 1911. Since I shoot "Modified Weaver" on most occasions, having the magazine pouch on my right side is natural for me. If I have to reload while shooting left-handed, the right hand has the task of the reload, and since my right hand is on my right side, it only makes sense to me to have ammunition readily available for my right hand.  Long gun ammunition, if carried, is on my left side, as it is the side that I shoot and reload long guns.  Nothing like keeping it simple, right?   ;D

Most staggered magazines can be very uncomfortable when worn IWB, but I would rather have them than not if I was to carry a wide-body plastic pistol.  For those who carry in the appendix position, the magazine pouch can be worn just in front of the hip.

I think the main thing is to try and keep your reloads as central to both sides as possible and train reloading from that position as much as possible - when firing strong or weak side.  There is nothing wrong with practicing reloads as you practice dry firing.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

rjfleming

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:26:20 PM »
With a revolver (3" S&W 65 with CT grips) AIWB  I Always carry my reloads in my strong side front pocket, 2 speed loaders and a 6 round speed strip and nothing else in the pocket. A Ban Tang Clinch Pic left of center on my belt. Usually a folder in my Right rear pocket. I also have an 8 round speed strip in the pocket of my Wilderness ankle holster when I carry a BUG (S&W 49). With an Auto AIWB I carry a Spare mag IWB Left of center with the Clinch Pic OWB near the mag pouch.   
SGM USA (RET)
NREMT-Paramedic
Volunteer Firefighter
NRA Instructor, PPITH, PPOTH, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun
Glock Armorer