Author Topic: Rights vs. Mob Rule:  (Read 764 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Rights vs. Mob Rule:
« on: August 26, 2016, 05:46:52 AM »
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Rights vs. Mob Rule:
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 06:10:12 AM »
I'm sure that depends on who you ask.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »
I'm sure that depends on who you ask.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

And probably, when you ask it, because the mob rules when in mob rule mode and dissenting opinion usually don't carry too much weight at that time.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »
From the article to which we are linked: "...My question for those reading this piece is; do you have to be in the majority to have rights? Do the Rights, enumerated and explained (not granted) in the Bill of Rights apply to those who may be in the numerical or popular minority? Before you dismiss the inquiry as rhetorical or sophomoric, take a moment to reconsider. In the United States of America, governed by the U.S. Constitution, do rights only extend to those who happen to be in the popular majority at the time? If your cause or way of thinking is considered to be a minority are you afforded the same protections described in the First Ten Amendments as is the majority?" [emphasis in the original]

In answer to the perpetuity of this question, I keep referencing Jeremy Bentham's Utilitarianism, a social philosophy which seeks to provide "the greatest good to the greater number."

Read that last bit very carefully: Bentham was advocating what nowadays would be called "the tyranny of the majority."

What is worse, Bentham's Utilitarianist social philosophy is still very popular, particularly among today's Progressives. Why? Because it's efficient. (But so is a dictatorship.)

Our Founders knew all about Bentham and Utilitarianism. Indeed, the political system which they left to us is carefully constructed to eliminate Utilitarianism and its tyranny of the majority. That's why we have a bicameral legislature, a tripartite government, and the Electoral College.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
HECK! . . . . All this time I thought we had a Bicameral Legislature, A Tripartite Government, and the Electoral College so that corporations had to have tripled lobbyist to pay off everyone.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."