Author Topic: Carryiing Spare Ammunition  (Read 1348 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Carryiing Spare Ammunition
« on: August 12, 2016, 05:47:33 AM »
6 Bad Excuses to Not Carry Spare Ammo - Massad Ayoob

Source: http://www.gundigest.com/concealed-carry-news/6-bad-excuses-carry-spare-ammo
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

flyover

Re: Carryiing Spare Ammunition
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 07:39:05 AM »
Better to have ammo and not need it rather than not having it and needing it.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:49:02 AM »
I usually carry two spare mags of 8-rounds for the 1911.  I normally carry them IWB (strong side position just in front of the holster) in my modified Remora magazine carrier, or when I am wearing cargo pants the magazine carrier resides in the left cargo pocket.  Sometimes, I wish that I carried a 9mm pistol, but the weight of two staggered 9mm magazines is not that much difference in weight that the two .45 ACP single stack magazines that I carry - there is just more ammunition.

Trying to conceal ammunition is sometimes just as difficult as trying to conceal the pistol.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:51:39 AM »
I tote 2 extra magazines.
One is a full size  (14 rnds) and one is a compact (11 rnds).

The subcompact mag in the gun holds 10 plus one in the chamber.
Total 36 rounds on person.

In my go bag there's always 2 more loaded subcompact magazines and least one box of loose rounds, plus a change of clothes, first aid, maps, etc...

Always and forever...I never leave home without any of it...except perhaps to the local store, half a block away.

Tin foil hat is optional.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

EDITED : cosmetic changes
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 08:20:12 PM by oldranger53 »
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:07:47 AM »
In the hot Georgia sun, a tin-foil hat would melt my brain more than what it is already melted.

flyover

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
It all depends upon the season. Summer time carry is a G 36 with two spares. Winter time I switch to a G 30 with a standard mag but carry 2 g 21 mags.

rjfleming

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2016, 03:36:39 PM »
Seasonally I carry either a HK p30 or a P30 SK both V1 LEM.Depending on attire I usually carry a HK P30 15 rd. Magazine with a Taylor Freelance+5 baseplate in my Left rear pocket, if possible 2 mags. When I am carrying my S&W 65 I carry the revolver loaded with 6 158 g. .357 mag hollow points and 2 HKS speedloaders and a 8 round speed strip ( all with .38 Spl. + P 158 g. LSWHP) in my right front pocket. The reloads are .38 Spl in case I have my J frame as a BUG. (Rare these days as I no longer respond to EMS 911 calls) but old habits ETC.     
SGM USA (RET)
NREMT-Paramedic
Volunteer Firefighter
NRA Instructor, PPITH, PPOTH, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun
Glock Armorer