Author Topic: 7 Principles of Low Light Operation  (Read 1242 times)

TAPnRACK

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: 7 Principles of Low Light Operation
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:40:51 AM »
Excellent points!

We were also taught, and I passed on that teaching, that while we can shoot with both eyes open in daylight, it was best to shoot with one eye closed during darkness to protect your night vision.  This was especially important during the days when LEOs carried revolvers, because of the side and muzzle flash (especially with the .357 magnum).

Whenever possible, it is best to force the target into silhouetting himself rather than you  silhouetting yourself.

Also, once the shot(s) was taken, move off the "X" just in case your target is still in the fight - you don't want to be where you once where.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

TAPnRACK

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 07:54:48 AM »
Yes, once acquired... you must maintain and protect your optical night vision.  Covering one eye when looking at a light source or not looking directly at a light source (shielding) helps maintain your night vision. 

On midnights, driving down dark streets I would turn my head and partially shield my left eye when passing an approaching vehicle with headlights. 

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 09:17:03 PM »

<snip>

On midnights, driving down dark streets I would turn my head and partially shield my left eye when passing an approaching vehicle with headlights.

I still do this.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:49:23 PM »
Question is, can we depend on a little bit of training to get us to keep one eye closed in the dark under stress? When the overwhelming amount of shooting is done with both eyes open, I'm not convinced we'll think to close one at night.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com