Author Topic: Online Ballistics Calculator - Free!  (Read 1477 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Online Ballistics Calculator - Free!
« on: June 10, 2016, 11:52:08 AM »
I will be doing function testing and zeroing (open and optical sights) of a firearm this up and coming Sunday. Normally, I use my 5th Edition Ammo & Ballistics book to  determine a general idea of what I can expect from some ammunition as far as my zeroing and other distances.  While the book has sufficed in the past, I have found a great website that allows me to plug in data rather than rely on established data that cannot be changed.  For example, sight height  and expected performance at varying distances. I can plug in the distance step in increments and also set the maximum distance that I want to view. 

As an example, I want 50 yards as my zero distance at my 25-yard indoor range with this particular firearm using Magtech 230-grain FMJ ammunition.  The result of the figures that I plugged in is shown below.

[attach=1]

While I can't zero at 50 yards due to the limitations of the indoor range, I can do a EWAG where I need the round to impact at distances less than 50 yards to get as close to a 50-yard zero as I can.  As you can tell from the results, hitting the bulls-eye at 15-yards can get me pretty close to zero at 50-yards - for this cartridge. While not exact, it is close enough for my work. When I can get to a 50-yard or better range at a later time, I can then fine tune for zero.

There are many cartridges to chose from that include calibers from .17 up to and including 9x23 Winchester.  While all ammunition is not listed as options (for example Tula and some others), the majority of ammunition is commonly found.

I would like to see a data item for barrel length, as this can impact quite a few things. But, overall, the site serves as a good and general guide to cartridge performance.

You can also view a trajectory chart of the chosen round at the site plus read other useful firearm-related articles. I find it a very useful site for my purposes.

Go to http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/ for more information.

As the site states; "Our calculator creates a proper ballistics trajectory chart that details range, drop, velocity, energy (fps), wind drift, and time. It takes into effect things like atmospheric conditions, wind, and even allows you to make projections shooting both up and down hill. No other free online calculator does."
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.