Author Topic: Walther PPQ  (Read 7599 times)

Charles1951

Walther PPQ
« on: December 24, 2011, 03:25:56 PM »
I received my new PPQ in 9MM this week from Cheaper Than Dirt online sales. I picked it up at the range I use who did the FFL transfer for me. It was cold and the ground was muddy so I only put 50 rounds through for an initial test after a pre-fire inspection, familiarization, and cleaning. My purpose in getting this gun was to have a gun to use at training and IDPA matches that has the same manual of arms as my Walther PPS but with a higher round capacity. The PPQ has a 15 round capacity using the standard magazine. Although the manufacturer's website says a 17 round capacity magazine is an option, they do not seem to be available yet.

The gun comes with a hard foam lined case, 2 magazines, a magazine speed loader, a cable lock, and 2 extra back straps of different sizes than the one mounted on the gun; one larger and one smaller. Changing out the back strap requires a pin punch. For my initial test I used the installed back strap even though it seemed a little large for my average size hand. When I got home I found that using the exact recommended sized pin punch is important and that the pin is very tight. I would like to use a press of some kind instead of a hammer to remove it. Im still thinking on that issue.

Here is a youtube review that focuses on the real selling point of the PPQ, the quick trigger reset:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsEkwHUZV1w

I was very impressed myself but it really didnt feel that different from the PPS in my opinion. Needless to say, I had no problems in the first 50 rounds. The gun is accurate and the recoil for the 9MM version is moderate. Im sure the S&W .40 caliber version would have snappier recoil. So far, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

My remaining issue is to find a good holster for use in an IDPA match. I sent an inquiry to Comp-Tac who makes the most popular IDPA approved holster and found that they currently dont make a holster specifically for this gun and did not believe that the holster they make for the P99 would work. The Blackhawk Serpa holster I have for my M&P works perfectly with the PPQ. Actually, I could use the Serpa holster for IDPA if I want to so maybe I should just use what I have. There are a several other options for me for an OWB at this time such as the Winthrop Avenger, DeSantis Speed Scabbard Holster, or maybe a Crossbreed Snapslide.
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Coastie

Re: Walther PPQ
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Excellent review.  For those who don't know what such a Walther is, allow me:   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPQ

Charles1951

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 07:43:50 PM »
Thanks, Coastie. I learned something myself from the Wiki article. It says that no police or military have adopted it for duty use. That's interesting. I bet US civilians will like it.
Charles

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
Thanks, Coastie. I learned something myself from the Wiki article. It says that no police or military have adopted it for duty use. That's interesting. I bet US civilians will like it.

Give them time.....time will tell - they've adopted some interesting pistols over the years...

Charles1951

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I was checking out the Wather Forum and found this:

http://pjholster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/PPQ_OWB1.jpg

It may be perfect for use in IDPA.
Charles

Coastie

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
Check the recommended Reading material board as I just posted there an annual type mag and they may have holsters for your weapon.  In fact on page 75 I saw one that I may buy...when I get home I can put the company on here to let you know what it is.  But it is an above the waistband holster, which I like as a BUG and would work for you.

Coastie

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 09:30:15 PM »
This is the holster I'm thinking of for my 1911.  I like the idea of a high ride:

http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ps/ps6r1/ps6r1.html

The ad says good for IDPA
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 11:16:56 AM by Coastie »

RayMich

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 11:15:09 AM »
Does the PPQ have the stupid QuickSafe backstrap safety like the PPS?

I will not carry or train with a gun that has a thumb safety, or a magazine safety or QuickSafe backstrap safety, or any safety that requires a conscious active effort to remove it.

- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Charles1951

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 04:23:47 PM »
Does the PPQ have the stupid QuickSafe backstrap safety like the PPS?

I will not carry or train with a gun that has a thumb safety, or a magazine safety or QuickSafe backstrap safety, or any safety that requires a conscious active effort to remove it.

No, the PPQ does not have the backstrap safety like the PPS. I agree with you about safeties. I don't want them on my self-defense weapon. My M&P came with an optional safety installed which is one reason I got the PPQ. I don't want to use the M&P for SD or SD training for that matter.

On the other hand, it is a different story for the PPS. On my PPS, I simply don't use the backstrap safety. As long as the backstrap is installed on the gun, that safety is not "on". To use that safety, one must remove the backstrap. It is not intended as a safety to be used in normal operation but rather an extra safety that can be used while storing or transporting the gun much like a trigger guard lock or a cable lock. If you don't use those types of safeties, they don't interfere with the operation of the gun either. Same idea.

One additional function for the backstrap "safety" is that it decocks the gun which is necessary prior to take-down disassembly for cleaning. An alternate way to decock the gun is point the empty gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger like a Glock. That's what I do for a take-down. The PPQ take-down is like a Glock - pull the trigger to decock.

I never have to take the backstrap off my PPS and haven't since the early days of owning it. The PPS will not please everyone but the reason you state for not liking it should be a non-issue. The backstrap safety cannot be accidently turned "on" in any way. Therefore, it meets my criteria for a self-defense weapon.
Charles

RayMich

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »
One additional function for the backstrap "safety" is that it decocks the gun which is necessary prior to take-down disassembly for cleaning. An alternate way to decock the gun is point the empty gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger like a Glock. That's what I do for a take-down. The PPQ take-down is like a Glock - pull the trigger to decock.

That is one nice thing about the Springfield XDm, you do not need to pull the trigger to field strip it.
- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Charles1951

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
Although the manufacturer's website says a 17 round capacity magazine is an option, they do not seem to be available yet.

Well, I was wrong. The 17 round magazines are available and I now have two. I thought I was ordering 15 round magazines.

I also ordered and received a Fobus left hand OWB belt holster that is supposed to be for a PPQ. The package was marked HK1 so I guess it fits other guns, too. It's a little tight but I guess it will do until I decide on something better. I remember Steve saying the rivets on this holster may not hold up well so I will be replacing it before too long.

Now for a little more range time and then an IDPA match to be sure this is the setup I'm hoping it is.
Charles

rdpG19

• Some of my Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 05:37:39 AM »
My wife carries a Walther PK 380, great little gun!
US Navy Veteren
Ruger SP 101 357 3" Barrel
Glock 19 Gen3
Taurus 65 357 mag
Walther PK 380

RayMich

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »
Last night I had the opportunity to play with a Walther PPS and their new PPQ side by side, both in 9mm. I have to say that I was quite impressed by the PPQ. I like it a lot better than the PPS. The PPS is smaller and thinner, but the PPQ felt way better in my hands.

The PPQ has a much nicer trigger with a short and crisp audible reset. I also like the fact that it has no external safety to fool with and no backstrap disconnect safety. It holds 15+1 rounds and you can get an optional 17-round magazine. Very nice gun, but this particular gun store was asking a "Rip-Off" price of $859 for the PPQ while the Walther website shows an MSRP of $729 for the same gun.  :o

EDIT: I did some checking around today and found a local dealer who can order the PPQ and have it within 3-days for $535 + tax. Now THAT is a more realistic price.

I'm going to have my wife check out the PPQ and see if she likes it.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:29:17 PM by RayMich »
- Ray -

Charles1951

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 02:16:51 AM »
Wow, Ray. Yeah, that first dealer is a rip off. And I'm surprised that the second dealer is able to almost match an online sales price.
Charles

Coastie

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
Which is why while I may look at a firearm at a dealer's shop I will always buy it on the internet, as Internet prices are usually a LOT lower...(then having it shipped to me is roughly $10 and my FFL holders fee is less than $25 and there's no tax), and I am good to go and it didn't cost me a leg...

RayMich

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 10:38:37 AM »
Unfortunately, here in this state, FFL dealers are required by law to add the shipping to the internet price and then charge sales tax on that total price. Fortunately, the FFL transfer fee is not taxed. So there is no sales tax savings here.  :'(

- Ray -

Charles1951

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 07:00:05 PM »
Cabela's is having a sale on the PPQ for $529.99 which is a pretty good price for this gun.
Charles

mustang125

Walther PPQ
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 07:21:11 PM »
So Ray, you are saying I need to buy all my guns before moving back someday?

toddpeach

• New User
    • http://www.thepeaches.com/guns/
Walther PPQ
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
Which is why while I may look at a firearm at a dealer's shop I will always buy it on the internet, as Internet prices are usually a LOT lower...(then having it shipped to me is roughly $10 and my FFL holders fee is less than $25 and there's no tax), and I am good to go and it didn't cost me a leg...

Coastie -
My last 'internet transfer' here in Seattle was subject to sales tax.  Seems like a new policy. 
NRA member
Washington resident CWP
Utah and Oregon non-resident permits

RayMich

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »
You can buy from a private individual any time and not have to pay sales tax.

States are starting to clamp down on internet sales that don't charge sales tax. Your local FFL obviously has a business presence in your state, so it is much easier for the state to pressure him into charging sales tax on internet sales.

- Ray -

Coastie

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:34 PM »
You can buy from a private individual any time and not have to pay sales tax.

States are starting to clamp down on internet sales that don't charge sales tax. Your local FFL obviously has a business presence in your state, so it is much easier for the state to pressure him into charging sales tax on internet sales.

My FFL holder does charge tax on Internet sales,
he taxes the fee I pay him to transfer the weapon
to me, about $1.50 in taxes