Author Topic: Springfield EMP 4  (Read 1207 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Springfield EMP 4
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:12:53 PM »
Got a look at a pic of the EMP 4 today.  It is on the cover of the June issue of American Rifleman.

My first impression may irritate the 9mm crowd, but here goes.

I'm thinking that making a 1911 style pistol to fire the 9mm is along the same lines as taking a Porche and putting a 40 hp Volkswagen engine in it.

But that's just my first impression.  YMMV.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Springfield EMP 4
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 02:30:22 PM »
Very nicely put!  ;D
OK, so now you've gotta come up with an equally pithy epigram for the Colt's .22 Ace, full-size 1911.  ;)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »
Very nicely put!  ;D
OK, so now you've gotta come up with an equally pithy epigram for the Colt's .22 Ace, full-size 1911.  ;)

Thanks for your support!
I'll start working on that! But first gotta get my flame suit reconditioned!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:35:57 AM »
Got a look at a pic of the EMP 4 today.  It is on the cover of the June issue of American Rifleman.

My first impression may irritate the 9mm crowd, but here goes.

I'm thinking that making a 1911 style pistol to fire the 9mm is along the same lines as taking a Porche and putting a 40 hp Volkswagen engine in it.

But that's just my first impression.  YMMV.

I think that you would be surprised at how well the 1911 puts 9mm rounds downrange.  Actually, it's like putting a Porshe motor in a VW beetle.  I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 FS in 9mm (read my review @ http://guntoters.com/blog/2015/12/26/rock-island-armory-armscor-1911-fs-standard-9mm-product-review/)  that I bought just to evaluate the 9mm round in a 1911 pistol.  Not only was I surprised at the results, but all of my shooting friends were as well when they shot it.  It is an absolute dream to shoot and follow-up shots were much faster than I can obtain with any of my .45 ACP 1911's.  One of my shooting friends, who carries a Glock G19 as his EDC, even commented on how well the RIA handled the 9mm.  Of course, the RIA 9mm 1911 has some weight to it as compared to the EMP.  The RIA is also an inexpensive pistol to try something new, but I would not have a qualms about carrying it.

If I decided to go with a 1911-based pistol in 9mm, I would seriously look at the Range Officer-Lightweight Champion (http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=PI9137LP&index=6&mfg=Springfield+Armory&mdl=All&cat=1&type=All&cal=9MM&fin=&sit=&pid=&inv=) - a serious pistol at a much more reasonable price than the EMP 4.

My LGS and range received an EMP 4 in and all of us who handled it had one comment that we all agreed upon - it was way over-priced for what it is.
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »
I am an avowed M1911 fan, exclusively rooting for the .45 ACP version. Go Browning!
A 1911-clone gun in 9mm, or even in .40 or 10mm, leaves me quivering with repugnance.

This new 1911-like, shrunk-in-the-wash version in 9mm seems to me meant mostly as a means of finding something new and shiny to sell to a market hungry for any kind of novelty.

There are all too many other 9mm pistols for sale out there already, most of them far better suited to the smaller hand or shorter set of fingers than is any size of 1911-like grip.
And if you really, truly hunger for a 1911 in 9mm — for reasons that I admit myself to be ill equipped to comprehend — both the full-size iteration and the Commander can still be had in that needle-bullet caliber.

Bah! Humbug!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 12:13:41 PM »
The 1911 platform avails itself to many calibers; 9mm short, 9mm, .38 Super, .40 Soft and Wimpy, 10mm, .45 ACP, 45 Win Mag, .357 magnum, and even .22 caliber and .22 TCM.  Shall we simply forget the Colt Ace, a .22 caliber version of the 1911 for training purposes? Nay, we shall not!!  In fact, the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit has been looking into a 1911 variant in .40 caliber in an effort to come up with a Joint Combat Pistol, and to keep the 1911 platform alive.

If shooting ammunition other than .45 ACP keeps the 1911 platform alive in today's time; and more so, into the future I am all for it.

Humbug, your bah!  ;)
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

oldranger53

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
"Soft and Wimpy"

HoooHawww! ROFL!
What a hoot!

That brought a smile to my face!

Tell ya the truth, I do wish I'd bought that 10mm Delta Elite back in '88 when one was offered for a song.  Sigh.