Author Topic: I Placed This Post...  (Read 610 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
I Placed This Post...
« on: May 15, 2016, 10:54:56 AM »
...in this section because any of us could come face to face with a person armed with an edged weapon.

If I were the officer, my response probably would have been the same. There are; however, a couple of things to be noticed that we should observe.

#1 - The report declares that the woman did not speak English. Even though the officer issued verbal commands, the woman probably did not understand what he was saying or, because of her state of mind, did not care.  It cannot be expected that every officer know every language on the planet.  Many of the inmates housed in detention centers do not speak English (or at least they claimed not to) and interpreters are needed to converse with them. Fortunately, we did not get many Asian-speaking people and the most common foreign language was Spanish - they were usually a number of Hispanic-speaking inmates that could serve as interpreters.

#2 - Observe the number of rounds fired before the woman became incapacitated.  The woman was not charging the officer. It seemed that she was simply walking down the sidewalk with the meat cleaver in hand. However, the officer feared for his safety and that justified(?)  the shots fired.

#3 - Did all shots hit the target?  It's hard to tell from the camera angle.  If he missed, there was a house and someone behind the woman, and could have possibly been hit.  I'm assuming that all shots fired hit the intended target.

#4 - The angle of the officer's weapon after shots were fired and the woman went down.  I am trying to figure out why the pistol was held in the "Gang Banger" position and not in a high ready or cover position.  Granted, the officer was reporting shot fired and perhaps was not paying attention to the "attitude" of his pistol.

#5 - No indication by the woman that she had been shot.  There was no Hollywood blood splatter, the woman being knocked off of her feet, an immediate reaction to being shot, or anything of that nature.  She was simply soaking up the hits until her body decided to cash out.  Her mind was not registering external or internal influences. I seriously doubt she understood that she was dying.

The shooting is a serious lesson to those of us who go about armed.  If we have to use our PDA (Personal Defense Assistant), we can't expect one-shot stops (although they can happen), we can expect the person shot to continue until they cannot.  That may take one shot - it may take a full magazine worth of shots.  There are no guarantees, no science, no magic. There is only shoot until the threat is stopped.

Read the article and watch the video:

Bodycam footage shows the moment a North Carolina cop fatally shoots a woman as she comes at him with a meat cleaver

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3587181/Bodycam-footage-shows-moment-North-Carolina-cop-fatally-shoots-woman-came-meat-cleaver.html#ixzz48UY3i8YA
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: I Placed This Post...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:44:42 PM »
I'll pass on watching the video, cuz frankly I've seen enough harm done in this lifetime...don't want to see any more.

BUT! That doesn't mean I can't comment! 

I've seen gunshots disappear into bodies and not even bleed.  Strange!

Shucks, I saw a .357 mag hydra shock enter the skull of a rabid dog once upon a time...and NOT exit!  It just whirled around inside the skull cavity.  Very Strange!

But then...Long ago...I saw a guy shoot one horn off of a deer with a .22LR, and killed the deer instantly!

Twilight Zone!

Yer right.  Ya just never know what's gonna happen once the hammer falls and the round starts down the barrel.

And language?
Uhhhhh, I'm thinking that in a situation like that, body language and verbal volume should probably be enough to get the point across...but I wasn't there, so there ya go.

Ok.  I got called out to Walmart this morning to change a sensor on one of our machines.  I'm about to head back, job well done so far.  Hope it doesn't break again before I get out of the parking lot! 

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
Re: I Placed This Post...
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:14:56 AM »
I watched the video twice, in my mind, he was justified in shooting
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe